Primitive beekeeping (bee trees, log hives, etc) - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Primitive beekeeping (bee trees, log hives, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    GG: one idea - since we are talking of essentially "row of hives", it also makes sense to alternate entrance height (say: low-high-low-high) OR make it configurable so you close the low/open the high - this is to make the neighboring units somewhat distinct and also give them choices - some swarms will move into the low entrance/others will prefer the upper - a consideration.... Excited about your idea already.
    yes configurable, that needs some thought. the end ones can be around the corner, so that angle of entrance would help, also I can paint something different on the entrance area. Maybe a piece or tin in between entrances, a foot /12inches would help a lot. what about making them all interconnected and just do not worry about drift? 4 eggs in 1 basket. or a combo 2 singles and a double. want to make it easy and winterable. the mice worry me, big issue here , they are everywhere.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    yes configurable, .......... the mice worry me, big issue here , they are everywhere.
    Entrances around the corner - a good idea.

NO interconnections. NOOOO!
    Unless you are a priest - then maybe.

Mice - I never worry of the mice and don't get the the problem - just staple 1/2 or 3/8 screen EVERYWHERE you have even a little doubt.
    I never have mice problem with 1/2 screens in all entrances and all ventilation holes and in few weak spots, for a good measure.
    Considering most all of my hives are in out-yards (woods, bush and tall grass) - varmints are a plenty - I don't get people complaining of the mice.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Entrances around the corner - a good idea.

NO interconnections. NOOOO!
    Unless you are a priest - then maybe.
    so do you have experience with connected complexes? They are wild if you like the edge. They go to the dark side somewhat easy. Turn into to robber towers. they easily figure out they are bigger and go about robbing out all the little hives. A priest is actually a good idea, "Bless this complex and take away its evil ways"
    Last edited by Gray Goose; 08-22-2019 at 04:14 PM. Reason: spellling

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    so do you have experience with connected complexes? ....
    No, I don't.
    I only read documented cases where bees lived in the inter-connected tree cavities.
    It was *not* documented how many actual queens were present (I suppose that would be near impossible to know).

But, heck, you can make those interconnections configurable and give it a go just as well (beauty of the bee-wall).
    A simple hole through the stud - all you need (nothing to over-engineer there).
    Simple is always good.

Plug it permanently with steel wool plug/wooden plug - very simple - bees will not get through.
    Plug it temporarily with a rag/paper towel - bees will chew through and unite.
    Unplug the stud hole into the empty cavity if the neighboring volume is getting overflown - extra bees will hang out in the empty volume and maybe even build into it.
    If the connection holes are done at the bottom of the each cavity (the bees will be starting at the top) - you can just keep those inter-connections opened at all times and don't worry - colonies may unite (OR not) as they grow down and reach those connections holes.

If going crazy, then just go nuts.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

The owner of a youtube channel, that I keep track of, decided - time to harvest one of his log hives (been two years and the honey must be ripe).
    Fun to watch the process.
    May just jump to ~7:00 to skip the talks (non-English anyway).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvWGhF58LWU&t=1094s

Fun to watch the process.
    This is interesting- how much surplus was he able to take off?

It looks like he is shaking the bees off into maybe a poly brood box?

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    This is interesting- how much surplus was he able to take off?

It looks like he is shaking the bees off into maybe a poly brood box?
    He estimated 20 kilos (~50 pounds).
    The bees were not disturbed since the spring 2018.
    He wanted for the honey to accumulate and cure - and it did (cure) - notice that the honey is very thick and dark liquid (no signs of crystallization).
    Of course, it is some mix of 2018 and 2019 honeys; still lots of it is 2018.

Old and well cured honey is in low supply and high demand (he indicated the harvest log honey is NOT for sale - only family and close friends get a piece).
    It is just eaten in chunks - directly as-is - honey and bee bread all at once.

I actually get some of these myself (though not quite 2-year old stuff) - when I go around and selectively harvest the dead-outs.
    Though I do mostly C&S on my harvest; we also just eat it as-is too (in the process of C&S).
    I will second that the generic spinned summer honey is just not it.
    Nope.
    The kids will confirm the same.

He shook the bees off into a poly-hive with already prepared frames for wintering.
    The plan is to dump them back into the freshly robbed-out log hive the next spring and start a new 2-year cycle.
    Looks like he is running 3 logs hives (can see on the video too).
    He has several vids all centered on his log-hive projects.
    Cool stuff.

Hehehe...
    I do have the logs hives on my own - 4 units (one in testing as we speak).
    I think the next spring I will just pop them up in and go for it too - the 2-year old honey.

Cool stuff.

I think the next spring I will just pop them up in and go for it too - the 2-year old honey.
    This is an interesting approach, GregV. I imagine you might be able to fetch a premium price for honey harvested from a log hive- it certainly makes for a good story to tell with the product.

Ah, OK, it maybe no need to wait 2 years for the honey harvest either.
    The current year is fine, as I have been doing.
    Good enough.

The longer you wait, the higher HMF concentrations are (even in raw honey if the conditions are warm enough; which they are in summer time).
    But once harvested, it can be frozen indefinitely (freezer is a better storage place vs. the toasty bee hive).
    HMFGenerationConditions.jpg
    From: https://www.tentamus.com/hmf-honey-q...?cn-reloaded=1

Greg:

Are you familiar with this guy?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN1X31CE
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Not familiar, Russ.
    A good read.
    Will not get into the many details, except his honey harvest - "only take from the absconds and the dead - leave the rest alone".

On this same note, this year I spent the time and effort extracting the honey in conventional way.
    Goota say - this spinned summer honey is "meh".
    It is a pedestrian, generic, bland honey.
    Donno - what is the fuss.
    I don't care for it.
    Everyone has it.
    Why bother with it.

20191025_075339.jpg
    Right here, on my table they are side by side.
    The dark honey with some bee bread mixed in from the C&S - the last season harvest, half-eaten - the real deal.
    The lighter honey - pedestrian honey everyone here sells (even the grocery stores).
    Why spend the time and effort to get what everyone already sells.
    Cheaply too.
    I am done with that silly approach.
    The pressed honey from the brood nest is my favorite and will be.
    So - I better stick to that business model.

I better save the last of my C&S batch so I can do some blind tasting trials with it.
    No more of the real honey left until something comes along.

With that, lots and lots of hives (smaller hives is fine) - let them load up with the stores then let some of them self-kill - then harvest from the dead and the absconds - actually is a fine operating mode as for me.
    Double-bang, actually (self-weeding out the poor bee and trivial harvest from the empty hives).
    Stupid simple.
    Last edited by GregV; 10-25-2019 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    Greg:

Are you familiar with this guy?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN1X31CE
    Just was gonna say, some of the passages here sound old and annoying to me (getting tired to hear these).
    Such as:
    Honey bees are critical to the planet’s ecosystem
    The healthy and diverse insect population is critical to the planet's ecosystem.
    NOT the honey bees.
    The honey bee cultivation is not any different from any other mono-crop cultivation.
    Saving the mono-crop of the "dying honey bees" is non-sense.
    Really tired to read this media propaganda (hate to say this - but it is "fake news").

And so on.....(no smoke; no protection; etc).
    Whatever. (go and do my bees without smoke and protection - and I will watch from a distance; hehehe....)

At this rate, the guy better be creating some general insect preserves then - much more admirable project, actually, I feel.
    So yes - I am torn.
    Suppose if the tiresome "save-the-bees" propaganda is removed from the context - it is an OK project; an interesting project on honey bee introduction into the CA native ecosystems - for what it is.

Where the honey bees must be preserved - the original habitats in the Old World.
    Once the original, old populations are lost - they will not come back.
    Lots of people have been doing exactly that already.

The healthy and diverse insect population is critical to the planet's ecosystem.
    Good point, GregV. It is interesting to note here in my little corner of God's green earth the variety of native pollinators, who tend to both; work things the EHB's will not, and; work when the EHB's will not. So even in this very narrow view one can see how incredibly important it is to have a healthy and diverse insect population.

MSL mentioned this movie someplace - "The Land of Honey", if I recall the title.

Well, the entire video is now on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4uwxoYne8k

darn you, I had things that needed to get done this evening!
    now I have to watch it before the copywrite volition is reported to YouTube
    "HoneyLand" is the US title https://honeyland.earth/

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    darn you, I had things that needed to get done this evening!
    now I have to watch it before the copywrite volition is reported to YouTube
    "HoneyLand" is the US title https://honeyland.earth/
    LOL!
    Indeed, drop your things and watch now!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234