Mouse In The House?

Default Mouse In The House?

I pulled out an inspection tray yesterday and there was a lot of mouse poop on it. I have had mouse guards on the robber screen since October but had forgot to close the upper opening on the robber screen and the bugger must have gotten in that way. I have read here that people have had success getting them out by doing an OAV, so that's what I did. Much to my disappointment, a mouse did not run out. So, either the bees drove it out already,or its still in the hive. Wondering what everyone thinks the odds are that its alive and up between the frames. Cold and rain/sleet here now followed by 20's the rest of the week, so opening the hive isn't an option. I would like to get them wrapped, but will hold off until I hear some opinions on what I should do. Many thanks, J

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Mouse In The House?

If you cleaned out the mouse turds you would only have to recheck the tray after a day. They produce them quite regularly. No poop, no mouse! You also should see comb chewings dropped.
    Frank

When you check the hive in the spring you may find a mummified mouse encased in propolis. I once removed a hive that had taken over a wood duck house. Inside I found a wood duck mummy completely covered in propolis.

I have wondered if OAV will gas the little burgers. Let us know

Thanks guys. Geesh Crofter,of course! Im so stupid sometimes. I did clean the tray so will know tomorrow if I still have the mouse. J

I can tell from experience oav will make them run for the hills if they are still alive and can get out. I leave mine on year round now. I have the metal slide ones so i can remove easy enough
    Terrence

Quote Originally Posted by couesbro View Post
    I have wondered if OAV will gas the little burgers.
    I imagine that if a mouse doesn't run out, it'll die as a result of the oa sublimation.

No poop on my tray today so either they got it out earlier or its entombed between the frames. Kaizen, I knew someone here used OAV to get a mouse out. Good to know it makes them run for the hills for future reference. J

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    No poop on my tray today so either they got it out earlier or its entombed between the frames. Kaizen, I knew someone here used OAV to get a mouse out. Good to know it makes them run for the hills for future reference. J
    Also scared the crap out of me when they started running down my leg!! not something you expect doing oav. lol
    Terrence

Having some inkling that one was in there, I stood to the side with a 2x4. But I can understand your feeling when I cleaned out a blue bird house and a mouse jumped out on my chest and down my shirt! I think we both had a mild heart attack. J

I had a mouse last year make a nest in deadout. I got him/her out. Super fat mouse. But....the mouse chewed it's way back in. I put an entrance reducer (closed orientation) and when I came back a week later it had made a hole.

Quote Originally Posted by burns375 View Post
    I had a mouse last year make a nest in deadout. I got him/her out. Super fat mouse. But....the mouse chewed it's way back in. I put an entrance reducer (closed orientation) and when I came back a week later it had made a hole.
    Most likely had babies in the hive
    Terrence

Shrews sure aren't very big. This one was raked out with dead bees after removing the entrance reducer / mouse guard. It either got in through that palisade of nails or was in there before I put it on. There was no damage to combs.

That is a dime pictured for reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Frank