Recommended coffee brands (fine, tea brands too)

Default Recommended coffee brands (fine, tea brands too)

While musing about the coffee goodness/badness, I got to think...

Hey, do recommend your favorite coffee brands.
    Tea brands work too; tea is good.

While at it - also do advise to AVOID any crappy coffee so to save the others few dollars.

Here it is my recommended list for the moment and what I have been drinking lately:
    * whole bean organic coffees from ALDI (two varieties - Costa Rica and Honduras)
    * ground estate coffees from ALDI (they got Kenya and Costa Rica; while I do not prefer the pre-grounds, these do work)
    * single-source Sam's Choice coffees from WALMART (all of places, I was recently surprised by Walmart; shame on me)
    * loose black tea from Lipton (a good solid honest staple tea; if I see it, I grab a couple boxes or more)

The bad stuff I tried lately and will rather AVOID:
    * tried recently 8 O'Clock coffee after a long break - meh, the new owners spoiled it for me, I don't care what they claim; 8 O'Clock Columbian whole bean used to be the CR Best Buy - nope, no longer so per the CR
    * tea bags in general (I got this stash of tea bags from Stash, HyVee, Aldi at my office - these are all crap; I don't know why I keep buying this crap)

Pretty much, hard for me to spend more money against my current favorites (unless I catch a crazy good deal and then give it a try).
    Pretty much, we do not want comments on any local brands (I got plenty too, but who cares) and on anything one had 6 months ago (there are plenty of these, but who remembers).
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Recommended coffee brands (fine, tea brands too)

I buy green beans from Sweet Maria:
    https://www.sweetmarias.com/

I roast once every week or two.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

If you grind your own beans, try something from Mexico. Yucatan, Chiapas, or Veracruz. I was there last year, and stayed on a coffee plantation for the bee meeting. The coffee has a delicious sweet note.

Whatever the hotel is serving in the lobby pot at 6am when staying at a bee conference of some type. Coffee is usually ok, and the folks you meet make it worth the trip.

I admit to being something of a coffee junkie always in search of the perfect brew. There is just something mystical about the stuff. Iíve graduated from old style percolators to drip but lately have been experimenting with French press, pour overs, kuerigs (sorry, mediocre at best in my mind) and Bialettiís, even bought a nice automated coffee machine a few years back. The only real givens in my mind are that you have to use fresh and freshly ground beans and donít skimp on the coffee, after that, it just seems like you never quite know how the finished product will taste. Not too sure, after all is said and done, that a well executed pour over isnít about as good as it gets and it requires nothing more than a stove top, a cheap grinder, a cone and a tea pot. A French press dosent take much investment either and will give you an even more intense flavor. Of course if you want the real deal (espresso) thatís another story.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Smile Re: Recommended coffee brands (fine, tea brands too)

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I admit to being something of a coffee junkie always in search of the perfect brew. There is just something mystical about the stuff. Iíve graduated from old style percolators to drip but lately have been experimenting with French press, pour overs, kuerigs (sorry, mediocre at best in my mind) and Bialettiís, even bought a nice automated coffee machine a few years back. The only real givens in my mind are that you have to use fresh and freshly ground beans and donít skimp on the coffee, after that, it just seems like you never quite know how the finished product will taste. Not too sure, after all is said and done, that a well executed pour over isnít about as good as it gets and it requires nothing more than a stove top, a cheap grinder, a cone and a tea pot. A French press dosent take much investment either and will give you an even more intense flavor. Of course if you want the real deal (espresso) thatís another story.
    When I'm traveling, I look for a 7-11 where I buy the mountain roast blend.....or something like that. When I'm home I drink my own home brew...............oops............I have 3 acres of Kona coffee. I've never tasted its equal anywhere. Am I biased? I don't think so.

Tea.....there are some good ones but oolong is my favorite.

Brewing coffee: I tried many methods. Now first thing in the morning I throw the freshly ground recently roasted (to about 450 degrees) beans into the french press, pour in the almost boiling water and after a couple of minutes pour that through a regular brown cone filter over my chemex. Then I take that coffee and pour into an insulated container. This way the coffee has a better texture than using just the press, while the ground coffee is better utilized than when just doing a pour over. Sorry, but someone asked.

I make one quart in the morning, and that's it. Coffee all day bothers my stomach and interferes with the following night's sleep.

Make my coffee black..............no additives.

You may think I'm lucky; on the other hand, I have to deal with mites and hive beetles 12 months of the year. But that's another story.

For a light tea, I grow my own spearmint and pineapple sage. Both make a smooth tea. The sage must be used fresh to get the fruit flavor, but the spearmint can be used both ways. The mint also is great dried and added to peas or tortellini.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

I like good strong coffee, almost like espresso. I'm also a big fan of Costco. They offer Kirkland Signature Espresso Blend Coffee, 2 lb for $12.00. Great deal on a very good coffee. This is a strong, very rich coffee. Generally, this product is not available at our local warehouse, but you can buy it on-line and pay an extra $3.00 delivery fee - still a good deal. I also recommend, again at Costco, Starbucks French Roast Whole Bean Coffee, 2.5 lbs $20.99. This frequently goes on sale for $15.99 and it is always available at our local warehouse. I use both of these coffees in a standard drip coffee maker.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

I'd be darned.
    Was at Aldi's again - they brought in even more single source organic coffees (whole bean).
    12 ounce can was for under $6.
    The cans are pretty looking, need to try them yet however.
    The cheapskate I am, just had to get one of each.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by Gino45 View Post
    When I'm traveling, I look for a 7-11 where I buy the mountain roast blend.....or something like that. When I'm home I drink my own home brew...............oops............I have 3 acres of Kona coffee. I've never tasted its equal anywhere. Am I biased? I don't think so.

Brewing coffee: I tried many methods. Now first thing in the morning I throw the freshly ground recently roasted (to about 450 degrees) beans into the french press, pour in the almost boiling water and after a couple of minutes pour that through a regular brown cone filter over my chemex. Then I take that coffee and pour into an insulated container. This way the coffee has a better texture than using just the press, while the ground coffee is better utilized than when just doing a pour over. Sorry, but someone asked.

I make one quart in the morning, and that's it. Coffee all day bothers my stomach and interferes with the following night's sleep.

Make my coffee black..............no additives.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Freshly roasted beans done right are the best BUT if I can't get that give me a good Columbian roast and I'm happy.
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

I love good coffee, but Folgers or Yuban perked is my daily go-to. Untainted by sugar, milk, or other abominations, of course. I find it quite drinkable, and it makes the "better" coffees even more special.

I have 3 acres of Kona coffee.
    Very nice! Real Kona coffee is amazing. About 20 years ago, there was a local shop that sold coffees from around the world. A few of us from work would each buy different varieties to share. Kona was definitely a repeat purchase and was one of my favorites. Recently, I've tried some Kona blends and was very disappointed. I suspect that the percentage of Kona was low.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

My wife is the coffee drinker. I try to keep her supplied with good beans. But, it is tough since I don't drink it. She does like the Aldi single source beans.

I have looked into the home roasting before but she thinks that would be too much trouble. I don't. But, once again I am not the coffee drinker.

Michael, how do you roast your beans? I have read about the hot air poppers. But, have also read that the stove top roasters are better than the hot air. If I do this it will be either stove-top or hot air to start with.

Tom

Roasting coffee emits a lot of smoke and smell........if you do it right it's a good smell. Anyway it needs to be done outside. It can be fun for a real connoisseur.
    Does the drink it straight? Dark roast, light roast, city roast?
    If not straight or if she doesn't know what roast, it's probably not worth it to home roast. Also if she likes a real dark roast, in other words, burnt, it also is probably not worth home roasting, IMO.

>Michael, how do you roast your beans? I have read about the hot air poppers. But, have also read that the stove top roasters are better than the hot air. If I do this it will be either stove-top or hot air to start with.

Everything you do changes the outcome, but it's not so much better or worse as just different. I have done it in a stove top popcorn popper with a crank, but you can't see what you're doing. Once you get the hang of it, though, you can go by smell and sound. I had a 120v roaster which I didn't like that much. It worked like a hot air popper and did very small batches. The one I have now does slightly bigger batches and runs on 220v. I had to put a US style plug on it and wire a 220v outlet for it. But I also have a 220v tea kettle that boils a pot of water in about 30 seconds that made wiring the outlet worthwhile. Here is my coffee roaster I use most of the time now:
    https://www.amazon.com/Coffee-roaste...coffee+roaster
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Meant to ask - where do you get your oolong?
    Will you suggest a good bulk source/brand?

I get it, there lots of choices; I am just looking for personal experience here.

I have bought oolong in bulk from the Whole Foods in the past.
    It is a fine oolong.
    But if I could just order online, cheaper, and about the same quality as in WF or better, I would.

I'm not much for tea unless I'm eating Chinese food. Then I prefer Lapsang Souchong.
    https://www.amazon.com/Harney-Sons-L...psang+Souchong

I'm no tea expert either; however, I like Prince of Peace brand oolong. The problem with buying it online is: how fresh is it?

Kona coffee blends: Don't get me started. A lot of them don't even state that they are only 10% Kona coffee. There are some corporate buyers who use the name in a devious manner. If you want the real stuff, you can start at Kona coffee farmers association.....https://www.konacoffeefarmers.org/bu...om-the-farmer/

Hubby's a Folger's guy, but I really like the various blends from Mystic Monk Coffee in Wyoming. Very flavorful.