Candlemaking - a personal video
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Candlemaking - a personal video

Iíve finally finished candle making for this season. It has been a bit of a marathon. This video shows how I pour my beeswax candles.

https://youtu.be/L8uRxo5If3o
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Candlemaking - a personal video

Very nice video Dan. Thank you for sharing.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Very nice video Dan. Thank you for sharing.
    Thank you.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Uh oh. My wife caught me watching your excellent vid. Now she is asking why we don't make candles. Thanks ALOT Dan. J

thanks dan! a few usable pearls of wisdom there for sure.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    Uh oh. My wife caught me watching your excellent vid. Now she is asking why we don't make candles. Thanks ALOT Dan. J
    Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    thanks dan! a few usable pearls of wisdom there for sure.
    Every time I see how someone else does things, I get new ideas. I like to think some folks may do the same with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Every time I see how someone else does things, I get new ideas. I like to think some folks may do the same with mine.

what steps do you take to get your cappings wax clean enough to pour into the candle molds?
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

what steps do you take to get your cappings wax clean enough to pour into the candle molds?
    I rinse my cappings in cold water and let them drain overnight.
    I melt those cappings in solar melters. After my initial melt I scrape the gunk off of the bottom of the wax brick. Then I melt it again filtering it through bleached cotton. That takes most everything out. What little remains settles to the bottom of my double boiler pots just before pouring.
    It is a tedious process but I really like the result.

understood dan. again, many thanks.

J, I learned a long time ago how to watch certain types of videos* in private.

*home improvement projects!
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

To carry this a step further, I believe that bees’ wax is the most underappreciated product of the hive. What is worse, to me, is when I go into a craft store and see their bees’ wax. It is an off color and stinks. By all appearances much has been overheated and, in my opinion ruined.

Cappings wax harvested and processed carefully has a grand color and fragrance. It is, as I said, a tedious process. I understand that big producers have to process huge amounts and don’t really have much choice but the result is so disappointing.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I believe that beesí wax is the most underappreciated product of the hive.

Wax and queens. I was shocked at the price of queens when I was buying them. After raising them myself, I'm shocked they're not more expensive.

Very, very good video, Dan. I watched it a few times when you first posted, and now I've got the equipment and supplies you recommended so I can give it a try myself. One tip for others is to check Goodwill for the pots and burner--I found perfectly good (used) melting and pouring pots for $1-$2 each.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Arthur View Post
    Very, very good video, Dan. I watched it a few times when you first posted, and now I've got the equipment and supplies you recommended so I can give it a try myself. One tip for others is to check Goodwill for the pots and burner--I found perfectly good (used) melting and pouring pots for $1-$2 each.
    Thank you!
    Good idea about checking Goodwill or other similar organizations.
    I hope you have great success.

dan, do you put a little water into the double boiler to make removing the left over wax easier?

dan, do you put a little water into the double boiler to make removing the left over wax easier?
    Only in the wall….not directly in the pot. I’d be afraid that the water might get poured into the candle mold along with the wax. It might work ok….I’ve just never tried it.
    I usually only have to clean out the bottom of the pot a couple of times during the candlemaking marathon. On those occasions I pour off the clean wax and pour off the contaminated wax from the bottom…usually pouring the clean and dirty wax into separate plastic containers. Then, while it is still hot, I wipe out the bottom of the pot.
    It’s really not a lot of gunk as I have already filtered out the worst earlier.

understood dan, thanks for the reply, and wishing you an excellent 2019!

great video Dan! How do you keep your taper molds from getting bent? Mine all start out great, but soon start warping pretty bad and make slightly curved tapers.
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

Quote Originally Posted by Branman View Post
    great video Dan! How do you keep your taper molds from getting bent? Mine all start out great, but soon start warping pretty bad and make slightly curved tapers.
    Thank you.
    I havenít had a problem with mine warping. Are yours from Mann Lake? My oldest ones are six or so years old. They seem as straight as the newer ones.

I have an 8" taper and an 8" colonial taper from Mann Lake. I may have stored them incorrectly at some point. I may try warming them up and trying to straighten them back out.
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast