Is coffee bad? Is coffee good?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is coffee bad? Is coffee good?

I want to start this talk so to build some kind of a coffee score (bad vs. good).
    Am somewhat tired of daily whiplash from "coffee is bad" vs. "coffee is good" type news.

But also, this could be a good demo of just how uncertain is pretty much any scientific conclusion (often fed to the public as if it is has certainty of 2+2=4, now and forever).
    As well, the contextual framing of the conclusions (or the lack of it) creates a double-headache.

Anyway...
    This morning so far I just emptied my regular serving of a near-full French press; pretty strong fix at 4 tablespoons of ground coffee.

Coffee is good for me:
    * my normal blood pressure is on a low side and so I do need it raised to function;
    in the remote past, I was given caffeine shots even, due to extremely low blood pressure

Coffee is bad for me:
    * I tend to gradually increase the coffee intake so that it still works for me, but eventually coffee starts disrupting the normal sleep cycle
    this requires periodic "coffee breaks", i.e. low-caffeine weekends (with some hangover symptoms).

So, this is 1:1 for now.

This is one example of popular "coffee is bad" rant:
    https://drhyman.com/blog/2012/06/13/...t-your-coffee/

This is one example of simple to read "coffee is good" rant:
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...e-good-for-you
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Is coffee bad? Is coffee good?

Greg
    I don't care if coffee is good or bad. I only care that I get three pots a day to drink.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    Greg
    I don't care if coffee is good or bad. I only care that I get three pots a day to drink.
    Cheers
    gww
    Then you are a "prophylactic treater (mite or no mite)" !
    Hahaha!

PS: this is an off-topic; back to the coffee!
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Coffee messes with my nerves and my sleeping. I don't have it everyday like I use to. It's the caffeine for me.
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

For me, coffee is good; too much is bad - defining too much is the problem.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    Greg
    Cheers
    gww

About ten years ago I was concerned that I drank too much coffee so I cut down to a measly pot a day.
    Neill
    Herbhome Farm USDA zone 7a

I have not figured out how much coffee is "bad". I know that not enough is very bad. My day starts with two quarts, drunk redneck fashion from a quart mason jar with a teaspoon of honey mixed in. From there the caffeine intake continues with sodas and a Rockstar (240 mg) or two on the way home. No caffeine though after 6pm. That is when the ethanol takes over.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I currently drink half a pot a day on week days and a pot on the weekend days. I used to drink a pot a day. When I found myself pouring out some of the thermos at the end of the day I decided to stop carrying the thermos. I do like my coffee with ethanol.
    ks

I find I need to stop taking caffeine after 4pm in order to get a good night's sleep. I find I need to drink my 12 oz of espresso in the morning to function well.

Coffee is most people's main source of antioxidants:
    https://blog.brainhq.com/2014/02/07/...nk-we-consume/

Coffee slows Alzheimer's, prevents Parkinson's, staves off dementia and makes you live 13% longer.:
    https://blog.brainhq.com/2013/07/19/...inking-coffee/

Your brain on coffee:
    https://blog.brainhq.com/2014/08/28/...ain-on-coffee/
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

i'm just recently back on coffee after 2 years without. i didn't give up caffiene (tea) but went cold turkey on coffee. i notice i get dehydrated pretty quickly when i drink coffee, but i sure do enjoy it. i quit because i was craving it all the time, which makes me want to put it in the bad catagory, but it's so good.

OK, the tally so a far:
    8 good vs. 1 bad

I interpret TBS's take as a "bad".
    The others are a "good" or a qualified "good" or a mostly "good".

In short - if you drink coffee regularly, then how it can be bad?
    Of course, it is good!
    I really enjoy my morning French press fill with freshly ground beans.

Yes, coffee will make you pee more - actually good as it is helping to flush the junk out.
    Just drink extra water now and then to compensate.

While tea drinking is even better for you in many ways, the caffeine boost is just not there.
    Tea does nothing for me in terms of a pick up (well, the weekend replacement sorta drink).
    Tea is plenty good though, otherwise.
    My kids do tea.

I came across a discussion on a coffee aficionados site about doing coffee enemas! Seriously it suggested it was a way to avoid stomach upsets!

I find that I need food with the first cup of coffee or it gives me the runs; I agree with the dehydration effect and the accompanying muscle cramps. I like coffee but it doest like me; but like an old hound with porcupines, I keep going back for more punishment!
    Frank

Coffee is the great social enabler, so it must be good. I've never been to a bee club meeting or event that did not include the requisite coffee break. During the coffee break is the time you meet all sorts of interesting people.

On a grander scale, when you go to the larger meetings, same trend always holds true. My wife and I attend all the Annual and Semi annual meetings of the British Columbia Honey Producers Association, mandatory attendance because we are both involved in the organization in various roles. Events follow a theme, Friday is the boring business day, then Saturday and Sunday education and workshop sessions. Staying in the hotel where the event is hosted, get up at 6am and head to the hotel lobby where the coffee pot is out, and that's where / when you really start to meet the interesting folks. That's where I have met up with pretty much everyone that has flown in to do presentations and workshops for the event, and over the last few years it's become very much a who is who in the bee world type of event.

I usually avoid dropping names, not my style. But for this thread, I think it may be appropriate. Just a sample of the folks I've met at that morning coffee pot in the hotel for various events:

Anicet Desrochers, Jeff Pettis, Zac Lamas, Steve Pernal, Medhat Nasr, Randy Oliver, Ian Steppler, Michael Palmer, Shelley Hoover, Marta Guarna, and a whole bunch more that wont be recognizeable to folks outside of BC and Alberta.

Yes, coffee is good, it is the great social enabler.

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    I came across a discussion on a coffee aficionados site about doing coffee enemas!
    God bless the internet.
    ks

Quote Originally Posted by grozzie2 View Post
    Yes, coffee is good, it is the great social enabler.
    I asked my future wife to go for drinks for six months with no success. When I asked her to coffee it was all good.
    ks

Hi, Greg,
    I, too, have normally low blood pressure so I really get that comment. I believe my body tells me what it needs. I've learned this after ignoring things that have nothing to do with caffeine.

Beyond that, we really need to trust 1,000s of years of natural living that shows we 'need' coffee' vs. recent years of 'news that makes money when aired on the media to the public.' The large majority of research I have read on this for years is POSITIVE for drinking coffee. And, like others replied, as you get older, there's a certain time of day that your unique body chemistry cannot drink more (if you want to have precious, HEALTHFUL sleep that night). I used to drink coffee all day as a youngster. At age 58, several years ago I had to stop between 11 am to noon. TRUST YOURSELF and drink as you feel needed.

Michele

To go back to the original question and science focus, it is both good and bad. Very few things are all one or the other. It has some benefits, some negatives. Like other things, genetics also plays a role into how much the good or bad impact a person.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

So jadeguppy, that makes you what, a two cups in the morning and done type of girl? Based on how busy I believe you to be, I would have guessed otherwise.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by beesRus View Post
    Hi, Greg,
    I, too, have normally low blood pressure so I really get that comment. I believe my body tells me what it needs. I've learned this after ignoring things that have nothing to do with caffeine.

Beyond that, we really need to trust 1,000s of years of natural living that shows we 'need' coffee' vs. recent years of 'news that makes money when aired on the media to the public.' The large majority of research I have read on this for years is POSITIVE for drinking coffee. And, like others replied, as you get older, there's a certain time of day that your unique body chemistry cannot drink more (if you want to have precious, HEALTHFUL sleep that night). I used to drink coffee all day as a youngster. At age 58, several years ago I had to stop between 11 am to noon. TRUST YOURSELF and drink as you feel needed.

Michele
    All of this....YUP!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    So jadeguppy, that makes you what, a two cups in the morning and done type of girl? Based on how busy I believe you to be, I would have guessed otherwise.
    Well, I was only commenting on the scientific question of the original post, buuutt personally my coffee intake is usually very low. For most of my life I disliked the flavor. In the past two years I sometimes have a cup first thing at work. I'm more of a tea person. I wonder if I did switch and drink a lot of it if I would get stuff done faster or just pile more stuff on my plate. Probably better not to risk the latter being true.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast