Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Mikes hot honey

10K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Fivej 
#1 ·
Here in the Kroger in North Mississippi they sell a product called Mikes Hot Honey. It is made in New York and the only ingredients listed on the bottle are honey, chilies, and vinegar. Does anyone know some amounts for it? Or know of a hot honey along the same lines? Also on the bottle it says it's infused with chilies so there are none in the bottle.

#7 ·
I did end up making some and it was just as good. I took some dried chilies and put them into a food processor and turned it on and left it run for about 5 min.
Then I put all the stuff into a sifter and sifted it into some honey that I had warming up on the stove. Stirred it in and bottled it. It was great.

#8 ·
I want to try making some infused honey, but don't want to heat it on the stove. I want to maintain the advantages of raw honey. Is there a receipt anyone knows of for doing a gallon at a time? I've been reading that it needs to sit for two weeks and then be strained, which sounds easier doing by the batch than by the jar.

#9 ·
I really think the heat kinda distributes the taste in the honey. You might could do the same if you whipped it but I don't know. With the heat I run it back though the strainer to get out all the flakes that I can and the honey still has the heat in it.

#17 ·
I haven't made this, but I don't believe you need to heat the honey to infuse the pepper. I have infused sauerkraut and vodka with peppers at room and cold temperatures. I am about to make a mead with peppers and you do not heat it.
Since I am getting some peppers for the mead, I will try infusing a jar of honey simply by sticking a pepper in it, stirring and checking taste/ heat every few days. I will eventually remove it because I suspect it would get too hot otherwise. I have left them in sauerkraut and vodka, but those are preserved by salt/ alcohol. Honey would probably protect against bacteria also, but won't suggest that here since I haven't done it. J

#19 ·
To update: I cut a Habanero in half and stuck half in a 1lb jar of honey. I inverted the jar a few times a day several times and tested it each day for taste and heat. I removed the pepper on day 2 as it tasted perfect for my tastes. If you like lots of heat or use a bigger jar, you may have to go longer. The key is to taste it every day and remove it when it suits you.
Regarding the question on whether it is safe to leave the pepper in, a couple thoughts: It would be really hot. Also, as you use the honey, you will eventually expose the pepper which could lead to contamination.
It's really good BTW. In the mead I made, I roasted 2 peppers on the open flame of the burner of my stove and you can really taste the smoky flavor. In my 1.4 gallon fermenter, I left the peppers in for 3 days. I also cut them in half and removed the seeds and placed in a bag. J

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.