Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Lemon Creamed Honey.

12K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  lloyd@rossrounds 
#1 ·
Hey, I’m looking to make around 30 pounds of lemon infused creamed honey. I’m assuming that it’s lemon oil that is used when making this. Anybody know the correct ratio per LB of honey to use? Thanks. Any other favorite flavors?

#4 ·
So I got my hands on some lemon oil,. I'm going to start with 25 lbs and just add it slowly. The only hesitation I have is that the oil seems to be cut with sunflower oil, will this separate out of the honey eventually?

I also had to use a heating wrap to melt a 5 gallon bucket that was crystalized solid. It's been liquid for a few days but hasn't cleared up yet, it has a yellowish Color and still has some grainy texture to it. It should clear up at some point I assume?

#5 ·
To make creamed honey, one needs to "seed" honey with a creamed honey that contains very, very small crystalized grains, making it smooth and having the appearance of whipped honey. Ordinary crystalized honey will always maintain its grainy texture.

I would avoid lemon oil (and I am assuming you are not using that designed as a furniture polish :eek: ) that is mixed with sunflower oil or any other oil. Pure essential lemon oil is available through cosmetic and soap suppliers.

But why not use real lemons, with some lemon zest grated in? To make 25 lbs you may need quite a few lemons, but I would think the flavor would be better and more interesting to look at with the tiny flakes of peel. They may distract from the grainy texture, too, if you aren't able to get a smooth creamed honey.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.