Where to buy Cardboard Nuc boxes - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Where to buy Cardboard Nuc boxes

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillybees View Post
    I emailed bee-pros. See what happens. Dadant and the other Blue Sky don't have them on their website. No phone number to call. Don't seem like they want to sell them. Just a side gig probably. I let you know if they mail me back.
    They are super new, just shared with the public (patent rules) 2 weeks ago, Dadant, Bluesky and Mann Lake will handle them as well as Betterbee. They will be in the new catalog in Jan and set up in the computer by then. You guy are on top of the game!

As for sweating, that not an issue, and these have a lot more ventalation, as well as guides to keep frames from banging around and hurting queens. Yes it will Be Jan before any ship out to customers, but I will have them at the ABF conference and the AHPA.

Charles
    500-1000 hives mostly honey

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Looking for around 200/yr. Kind of an awkward quantity. Not enough to justify a pallet, but at $7.50 @, ouch. I like the look and price of the http://www.mdasplitter.com/nuc_boxes.php , but am not sure if they will hold up in my Willamette valley wet spring.
    Looking at a place in China, but I'm not much of a gambler!

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    Looking for around 200/yr. Kind of an awkward quantity. Not enough to justify a pallet, but at $7.50 @, ouch. I like the look and price of the http://www.mdasplitter.com/nuc_boxes.php , but am not sure if they will hold up in my Willamette valley wet spring.
    Looking at a place in China, but I'm not much of a gambler!
    If I'm a customer and given the option to buy a nuc in either a cardboard box or a durable plastic box and the price differential is only $3-$5, I'm going for the plastic. Of course, assuming that these plastic nuc boxes don't have some major drawback. It seems to me that as a producer, this extra cost is just a push downstream. Of course there's more capital that gets tied up, but that can be factored in as well.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

I have used the MDA nucs and they are horrible to work with. I will never buy another one.
    I talked to another beekeeper that purchased 500 of them and ended up tossing 300 on the burn pile instead of using them.

Great insight guys, exactly the discussion I was hoping for!

AstroBee has a great point. I sell a lot of nucs and use nice wood boxes. My cost is higher then most, but I feel it's worth a few extra $$$. My buyers must think so too. I've had many buyers show up to pickup nucs thinking they are pickup cardboard nucs and are impressed to get wood boxes that they can reuse. Sales increase 25% each year.

Wood boxes are nice, but if the pro-nuc does as good for half the cost. I'm in for trying them.

"1 gallon feeder cans commonly used" Can you expand on this? Any specific jar that you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    "1 gallon feeder cans commonly used" Can you expand on this?
    Non-beekeepers call them empty paint cans.

The 'lined' ones work best, and you can generally buy 'unused' cans at paint stores. See MP's photo in post #5: https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...d-4-frame-nucs
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

No kidding? Yes, we here in New Jersey are certainly familiar with the term "paint can" however, if you look at the top of the Pro Nuc - it appears that the front opening (and I know "ya'l"l in Tennessee are more familiar with Mountain Dew bottles that might be used at the back of the Pro Nuc), may fit a jar feeder and not a paint can.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    If I'm a customer and given the option to buy a nuc in either a cardboard box or a durable plastic box and the price differential is only $3-$5, I'm going for the plastic. Of course, assuming that these plastic nuc boxes don't have some major drawback. It seems to me that as a producer, this extra cost is just a push downstream. Of course there's more capital that gets tied up, but that can be factored in as well.
    Personally, If I am a buyer, I am going to the guy who regularly has good bees, regardless of the box they come in. In the case of sales, the nuc box is just a unit to build into, get a queen mated or introduced, and delivered to the customer.

I get mine form Becky <[email protected]> ( tell Becky max sent you) She is great to deal with.
    You can get 5 or 5000 - they are as good as others. Fairly quick and easy to put together. Get a few to try out and see if you like them.
    Price depends of quantiy and means of delivery.
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

How much do you pay per nuc after shipping? I

Thanks for everyone's input!
    Best price I have so far is about $6.00 each delivered for wax coated. We have pretty wet springs, so just regular cardboard nucs fall apart. Looked at getting them shipped from China, but the whole international shipping regulation process was too big of a PIA

I saw Pro-nuc boxes. Look great, but to be cost effective you have to buy a pallet directly from them. And a pallet has about 700 boxes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12