honey filter for extracting room?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default honey filter for extracting room?

I picked up some used equipment this year ( clarifying tank with 3 baffles), honey pump, uncapping tank ( weird its water jacketed and heated also ) and a bottling tank.
    Do i need to have a separate filter unit between the pump and the bottling tank? I have not used this type of equipment before .Isnt the point of the baffled clarifying tank to remove debris?

Thanks in advance
    Aran

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: honey filter for extracting room?

The clarifier will take care of most of the wax. I use a new knee high pantyhose for a strainer. I use it right right before it goes into my settling tank. I allso use quick connectors for for my hoses. That I got from McMaster. The hose to. With a little bit of planning you should be able to plumb the exstrator and the uncapping tank to the clarifier. I use both pvc and flex hose between these spots with quick connectors. Run the same size pipe as the uncapper and the extractor has.

Quote Originally Posted by My-smokepole View Post
    The clarifier will take care of most of the wax. I use a new knee high pantyhose for a strainer. I use it right right before it goes into my settling tank. I allso use quick connectors for for my hoses. That I got from McMaster. The hose to. With a little bit of planning you should be able to plumb the exstrator and the uncapping tank to the clarifier. I use both pvc and flex hose between these spots with quick connectors. Run the same size pipe as the uncapper and the extractor has.
    Dont suppose you could shoot me a pic of how your set up looks?
    Thanks for the help
    Aran

Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post
    Dont suppose you could shoot me a pic of how your set up looks?
    Thanks for the help
    Aran
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBTTxsenG-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-aCvjAxiAU

Mine:

mate thats awesome!. How does the screen on top of the bottling tank stay in place? are the two "socks" made of cheese cloth?
    Thanks for showing me this!

mate thats awesome!. How does the screen on top of the bottling tank stay in place? are the two "socks" made of cheese cloth?
    Thanks for showing me this!
    The socks on the pipe are women's nylon stockings. The white ones in the video are nylon drainage filter fabric tube. We now use a nylon for fine filtering inside the drainage sock for strength. The nylons can run and leak wax particles. The net on top of the tank is to keep bees out of the tank (who hitch hike in with the honey supers or through opening doors). The net is held up by a Kelley cone shaped 1970's vintage tank screen holder.

is the honey being heated in the tank after the extractor?

is the honey being heated in the tank after the extractor?
    We only heat certain crops in a bottling tank like plastic squeeze jars or wedding favors. You can see our cold filter box in the videos which is a 1950's vintage dual stainless screen box. We do have a heated baffle sump but it is broken for years and only needed in winter.

thanks for all the info i really appreciate it.
    I have a heated uncapping tank which is odd, and the clarifying tank can heat as can the bottling tank. May make it easier for the honey pump i have to move the honey perhaps?
    Ill have to see how the first extraction goes. Doesnt look from your example though that i need to buy a separate inline filter unit. They are expensive to any $ i dont have to spend is good.

Aran I am all broke down for the season.

After the final sump, I have two Dadant inline filters. First has a 150 micron filter bag.Second can have a finer mesh bag, or as I do, one of the same...to catch any particulates that slip past the first...say, when I'm cleaning filter bags.

A video of my setup....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IROmWBYfdF0

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    After the final sump, I have two Dadant inline filters. First has a 150 micron filter bag.Second can have a finer mesh bag, or as I do, one of the same...to catch any particulates that slip past the first...say, when I'm cleaning filter bags.

A video of my setup....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IROmWBYfdF0
    Thanks Mike yeah i have watched your video a few times already. Super cool honey house all around. I can spring for the filters if they are needed and im sure eventually they will be.
    Thing is my wife isnt always in agreement with what i consider to be "necessary" expenses for my bees lol...and i just spent up on the used extracting equipment so im kinda hoping at least in the short term to get away without the inline filters although it all depends how many supers i have to go through next year and how successful i am at straining/filtering without the real inline filters i guess.

My day job has me doing long hours and if i can show Margie how the filters will save time/mess/cleaning up then i have a much better chance at survival should i buy them!

OdFrank's method looks like it will work and is probably gonna save me a few hundred bucks in the short term.

>OdFrank's method looks like it will work and is probably gonna save me a few hundred bucks in the short term.

Its been working since the '70s....and if you can ask not sounding like a pervert, women will give you their used panty hose for free. Sometimes bags full. The not sounding like a pervert has been the hard part for me. "oh honey! can I have your used panty hose for straining my honey?"

This is the drainage filter cloth we use on the outside of the nylon for strength:

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...n-pipe/4152849

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    >OdFrank's method looks like it will work and is probably gonna save me a few hundred bucks in the short term.

Its been working since the '70s....and if you can ask not sounding like a pervert, women will give you their used panty hose for free. Sometimes bags full. The not sounding like a pervert has been the hard part for me. "oh honey! can I have your used panty hose for straining my honey?"

This is the drainage filter cloth we use on the outside of the nylon for strength:

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...n-pipe/4152849
    Lol! ill try hit my own wife up for her used stockings rather than random women!
    Thanks for the info mate!

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    We only heat certain crops in a bottling tank like plastic squeeze jars or wedding favors. You can see our cold filter box in the videos which is a 1950's vintage dual stainless screen box. We do have a heated baffle sump but it is broken for years and only needed in winter.
    so is the rectangular tank after the extractor the cold filter box? How does is filter? By the way i love the idea of the hinged extractor stand. Ive never understood why they cant put the **** outlet in the bottom of the extractor instead of the side ...i always have to manually tilt the extractor to get the honey out of the bottom of it! I may have to make a stand up like yours.

At 30 seconds you can see the stainless screens the extractor and spinner drain though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-aCvjAxiAU

Better video of my strainer box:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra0bG6Pcg1g

that strainer box is very cool!

I love the cost-effectiveness of these ideas, but would this stuff pass an inspection? Stockings and drainage sleeves might not make the food grade under scrutiny?

Millions of us Californians just spent two weeks choking under the cloud of Butte fire smoke. I am still sick. All hives and flowers also sat absorbing that poison for weeks. I use common sense and pick my battles when it comes to "food grade". I have been insulted for using galvanized pipe in my antique extracting setup. But I also see galvanized and PVC fittings in many extracting videos. Millions pf people drink water from galvanized steel pipes. The water sits in it for weeks after being in open air reservoirs. The honey only passes thru for a second, and then sits in stainless tanks. A pesticide survey of local honey found dozens of pesticides in the honey.I use Apivar in my hives, and sometimes terramycin. My apiary and extracting room is 200' from Highway 101, one of the busiest in the state. The exhaust settling on galvanized fencing has corroded it over 40 years. Who knows what toxics plastic foundation emit? Who knows what toxics the pine needles I use for my smoker contain? Millions of people wear nylon clothing. Nylon mesh strainers are sold for straining honey by the bee suppliers. I am not too worried about what nylon mesh does to my honey. We live in a filthy world, agonizing over foodgrade details is pointless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast