Top covers

Thread: Top covers

Default Top covers

I’ve noticed that a lot of top bar covers are triangular, much like a house. Inside appeared to be empty, with nothing preventing the bees from utilizing that space. It seems to me that you wouldn’t want the bees drawing comb up there, so what is the typical method of preventing comb and such up there?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Top covers

Quote Originally Posted by kzimmerman View Post
    Iíve noticed that a lot of top bar covers are triangular, much like a house. Inside appeared to be empty, with nothing preventing the bees from utilizing that space. It seems to me that you wouldnít want the bees drawing comb up there, so what is the typical method of preventing comb and such up there?
    Classic TBH has interlocking top bars - bees are locked out of the "attic".
    Interlocking TBs is the basic idea of a TBH.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame experimentation.

Interlocking? I’ve only just seen the bars sit side by side. Total tbh newbie by the way. Got lots to learn, and only just started.

Quote Originally Posted by kzimmerman View Post
    Interlocking? Iíve only just seen the bars sit side by side. Total tbh newbie by the way. Got lots to learn, and only just started.
    I mis-spoke.
    I meant - not gaps between the TBs will not allow the bees to come up.
    You knew it too; and you knew your answer.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame experimentation.

In a Langstroth hive the inner cover is technically the roof of the hive and the outer cover is to keep the rain out. In a top bar hive the top bars themselves are the roof of the hive and unless you made a building mistake, the only way the bees can get above them is by leaving through the entrance. The triangular cover is just to keep the rain off and in many cases to make the hive look nice.

Quote Originally Posted by dudelt View Post
    ....... The triangular cover is just to keep the rain off and in many cases to make the hive look nice.
    Well, the space above bars has many uses:
    - this is the place to install insulation if any (kinda useful in both cold and hot climates)
    - can feed the bees with just about anything dry or liquid from the top (need to let the bees up somehow);
    - keep the tools and other junk on-site (very convenient);
    - more.....