Why do I still have drones?

Default Why do I still have drones?

First year beekeeper here in North Georgia. Perhaps is been the warm weather bit Iím still seeing drones. Iíve inspected the hive 3 times over the past six weeks and my queen is still there and laying brood. Other than the drones it appears the hive is going strong.

The first inspection had maybe a dozen capped drone cells...
    The second showed only 3 drone cells...
    The most recent inspection (a little over a week ago) had no more drone cells but I still see them coming and going even today.

On each inspection Iíve found the queen and all appears well otherwise.

I expected them to be kicked out by now. I dismissed a drone laying worker since I see no more cells but am still concerned. Surely these canít be winter bees - see attached photo.

Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Why do I still have drones?

my hives in coastal VA go through the winter with a minimal amount of drones. Not odd at all for our area.

My bees are along the Canada border of Vermont and New York. Plenty of drones here all winter.

I am noticing that my younger queens (dimwits are daughters of those who swarmed late Aug) have more drones that my older queens (born in June this year).

Also it is important to realize that drones will drift to different hives, if not different apiaries... they don't care who feeds them. So those may be imported drones.

I saw drones on Thanksgiving last year. I think it depends on the hives and the weather. If the queen is still laying well I would not worry about it.

I never used to see drones in winter until I started keeping feral survivors. Now I always see some drones any time of year. Less in winter, of course.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF