clong 2018-2019 Treatment Free Experience - Page 7
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Default Re: clong 2018-2019 Treatment Free Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    CLong:

Good report- I am impressed that you've got new wax being drawn out already. I too wonder if Paradise superseded in the Fall- when did you last dig through them before buttoning them up?

Sounds like Piper is prepared to go gangbusters this year...
    I'll have to dig through my records to see when I last laid eyes on the queen. My guess is September.

The white wax I'm convinced is due to the number of bees, and the R-value of the hive. (The daytime and nighttime temperatures in this hive have been 90+ degrees for the last 11 days running.) This is a proven survivor queen, so perhaps genetics plays a part as well.
    Last edited by clong; 03-25-2019 at 12:57 PM. Reason: added temp comment

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Nice report CLong. I just love it when my best bees want to draw out a bunch of drone comb and then lay it full.
    Working to propagate my survivors and staying treatment free USDA Zone 7b

Quote Originally Posted by clong View Post
    The white wax I'm convinced is due to the number of bees, and the R-value of the hive. This is a proven survivor queen, so perhaps genetics plays a part as well.
    Hard to argue with this logic...

Quote Originally Posted by tpope View Post
    Nice report CLong. I just love it when my best bees want to draw out a bunch of drone comb and then lay it full.
    Tpope,

You're being serious, right?

I know we're not supposed to want too much drone comb, but I'm happy to let the bees have their 20%. More good genetics, and I still think there's more to the lowly drone than commonly taught. If they eat more than their share, well, I'm guilty too.

Tpope,

You're being serious, right?

I know we're not supposed to want too much drone comb, but I'm happy to let the bees have their 20%. More good genetics, and I still think there's more to the lowly drone than commonly taught. If they eat more than their share, well, I'm guilty too.
    Yes, I am serious. I want my genetics to dominate the local DCAs. I know of 5 beekeepers within 3 miles
    Working to propagate my survivors and staying treatment free USDA Zone 7b

Quote Originally Posted by tpope View Post
    Yes, I am serious. I want my genetics to dominate the local DCAs. I know of 5 beekeepers within 3 miles
    +1
    This season I want my 3 survivor queens lay as much drone is possible.
    Then I want those drones flood the area as much as possible.
    The more the merrier.

If you indeed care of any good traits to set into your population - you must push out the desired drones.
    You are always working with your entire population, not just few hives in the backyard.
    If you suppress your own "good" drones, well, some other drones will mate with your queens and you will have no seat at the table then.

To compare, I will be harvesting drone as a product from the other hives when I can (the colonies still under question and any new swarms for 2019; a side-affect - mite suppression).
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Elijah
    Found 4 frames of brood in box #2. Bees have drawn out new white wax on frame that was only half drawn, added to the northeast side of the box. This was my first cautious OSBN attempt. All drone comb, of course.

Added an empty frame just outside the brood area, on the south side of the box.
    Bees are building slowly, but steadily. The queen is two years old.

Thanks for giving OSBN a go. It worked as expected.

The reason the bees have drawn out the comb is because you made a hole directly beside the Broodnest. Bees will desperately try to fill a hole made directly beside or inside the Broodnest.
    Weaker hives will also build comb.

You mentioned about helping someone else and doing OSBN on their hive. Do you know how that went?

Can you also post the photos on the OSBN thread as well?
    Thanks!

Matt,

I'll post the photos over there tomorrow.

We were supposed to inspect the trainees hives today, but it rained. This Thursday we'll try again. I'll post on the other thread.

Hive 1803, Piper 7:30PM, 56F. Half a dozen bees fanning at the entrance. More fanners just inside.
    Nightime Fanning.jpg

Hive 1803, Piper 7:30PM, 56F. Half a dozen bees fanning at the entrance. More fanners just inside.
    Nightime Fanning.jpg
    Now this is too cool... or should I say too warm?

Now this is too cool... or should I say too warm?
    Russ,

Both. I am tempted to flip the inner cover to vent, but not yet.
    I'm just going to watch and wait...

The hive has gained 5lbs over the last 3 days. They are probably curing nectar.

Honeybee Prime Directive Part I:

The apiary is growing!

https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...95#post1713895

To God be the glory.

Honeybee Prime Directive Part I:

The apiary is growing!

https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...95#post1713895

To God be the glory.
    Alright, CLong! Way to go! This means hopefully that swarms in Kentucky are not far behind.

I like the nod to the Big Man- I've often considered adding 'Soli Deo gloria' to my signature a la J.S. Bach, but your way is better and much more straightforward. Here's to many more swarms in your traps this spring!
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Alright, CLong! Way to go! This means hopefully that swarms in Kentucky are not far behind.

I like the nod to the Big Man- I've often considered adding 'Soli Deo gloria' to my signature a la J.S. Bach, but your way is better and much more straightforward. Here's to many more swarms in your traps this spring!
    Russ,

Thanks for the good wishes.

I moved them into an 8-frame box yesterday. It looked like about 3 pounds.

The queen was stubby and unmarked. There were no eggs in the comb, so she's probably a virgin. That is the first time I've caught a virgin queen. I assume it was a secondary swarm. She had 3 good days to mate at the trap location. It will be interesting to see how quickly the hive takes off.

Chris

The queen was stubby and unmarked. There were no eggs in the comb, so she's probably a virgin. That is the first time I've caught a virgin queen. I assume it was a secondary swarm. She had 3 good days to mate at the trap location. It will be interesting to see how quickly the hive takes off.

Chris
    CLong:

I will look forward to hearing how this colony progresses this year. Keep up the good work.

Russ

Apiary Update 4/17/17

2 new hives have been added this spring.

1. 1901 Westley was a nice-looking swarm that had evaporated to about ¼ its original size by the time my trainee and I got there. It was queenless. When I stored them at my house, they went through one very cold night in the trap. When I took a peek, they looked terrible. My wife invited them into our sunroom, where it took 24 hours for them to come back to life. I think she may have slipped in a large chocolate-covered pill. I added some eggs from Piper, and shook in additional bees, and installed them into a four frame nuc. The queen cells have been broken down now. No sign of a queen at the last inspection.

2. 1902 Bon Air started as a swarm-trapped hive with a stubby virgin queen. She has a nice figure now. I installed them into an 8-frame box, topped with a standard inner cover, and a second box with a couple of honey frames. The next day I pulled the tele cover off to take a look. The whole colony had moved up onto the honey frames and were making comb off the glass. Bad bees!. They are now back in the bottom box with one honey frame added.

Paradise is piddling along. I moved 3 frames of brood up into box #3, to nudge them along. I didn’t have time to check the brood pattern. The mystery queen doesn’t seem to be a very good one.

Elijah is doing better, but not great. It is still headed by a 2-year old queen. I likely won’t let any 2nd –year queens go through winter anymore unless I have 10+ hives to work with.

Piper has some queen cells with larvae in them. I found two, but didn’t do a comprehensive search. Both were in box #4. One was in the middle of a frame, the second one on the bottom of another. I had done a brief inspection on 4/13 and found a ½ drawn frame of white-wax drone comb with some eggs. Along the bottom, there were 5-6 empty queen cups. I couldn’t find it on this inspection, but I wasn’t able to be thorough. The place where a recalled seeing it had a full frame of white wax with eggs and larvae. During this inspection, we found the queen and she seemed slimmer to both my daughter and me. This hive was Walt Wright-Checkerboarded, and OSBNed. The queen cells may be supercedure, but I am planning for the worst – that it will swarm soon. I have a trap up. I hope the Lord sends a swarm in that direction.

I am satisfied with the number of hives surviving this winter, but I still have a lot to learn on making honey.

Apiary Update 4/17/17
    I think she may have slipped in a large chocolate-covered pill. ...

The chocolate coating makes it go down easier, but you have to wait 15 minutes for full potency!

Quote Originally Posted by nickhefferan View Post
    The chocolate coating makes it go down easier, but you have to wait 15 minutes for full potency!
    All this talk of food is making me hungry for a nice MLT. You know, where the mutton is nice and lean...

Inconceivable!

Quote Originally Posted by r2t2 View Post
    Inconceivable!
    I've heard these line a thousand times, but they still make me laugh. Thanks to all for playing along.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast