Sugar brick in an inverted mason jar

Default Sugar brick in an inverted mason jar

Hey folks,

I知 overwintering some nucs and I知 trying to figure out the best way to give them some supplemental feed. I made up some sugar bricks pressed into mason jars, and was going to insulate them and put them through the migratory lid. Do you see any issues with this? If there is TOO much moisture, it may cause syrup to drip down on the colony. Or, if my insulation isn稚 so good (I was going to use bubble wrap), it may cause too much cold to come in. I知 in Atlanta, with highs in the 50s midwinter, so they should be able to break cluster and get the sugar all winter long.

Any thoughts? Many thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Sugar brick in an inverted mason jar

I'm overwintering some nucs, i make a 2" shim between nuc and cover and place a sugar brick directly on the top bars, has worked well in past

I do the same as beefarmer. Never had any problems
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

Quote Originally Posted by Will_Ratcliff View Post
    Hey folks,

I知 overwintering some nucs and I知 trying to figure out the best way to give them some supplemental feed. I made up some sugar bricks pressed into mason jars, and was going to insulate them and put them through the migratory lid. Do you see any issues with this?
    I'm not sure how 'sugar bricks' are made - so this may be relevant, but maybe not.

A while back I experimented with damp-set granulated sugar in inverted jars - apart from a small amount that the bees chucked out of the hive, as a method of providing emergency feed with minimum disturbance in mid-winter it worked reasonably well. One problem I encountered was 'the sugar dump', which can happen when the bees have excavated away so much of the sugar lower down that there's nothing much supporting what's left above. That's when the remainder can easily collapse.

The 'fix' I used (which works well) was to make-up a rough tube of chicken wire which is inserted into the jar prior to filling it with sugar. This wire then provides a support framework, preventing any large-scale collapse.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Ahhh, perfect! Thanks man!!