Brushy Mountain Closing? - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Default Re: Brushy Mountain Closing?

I just took a look at miller bee supply. Prices are not bad but shipping is not free. Guess i will stick with my local bee supply show ( Hungry bear farms in Canadaigua NY, ) or ML for online shopping.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

>A great supplier is Miller Bee Supply in Wilkesboro, NC. Beverly Miller (the owner) is a wonderful person. I am sure they will absorb some of the business that BM left with them shutting down.

Most of my boxes are from them. They used to make all the equipment for Brushy Mountain before Brushy Mountain started making their own.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    I'll admit that I was skeptical that there is another properly registered [manufacturer] of "oxalic acid as a varroa pesticide" (like Brushy Mountain is/was). While Brushy didn't actually manufacture the OA, they got it from a contract manufacturer and jumped through the legal hoops to have it registered under the Brushy Mtn name in each state they sold it in.

So in researching the appropriate registered pesticide database, I see there is indeed a second vendor now registered for oxalic acid. For instance, from the Florida listing;

(click to enlarge)

For those that wish to do a search for other states, here is the database link:
    http://npirspublic.ceris.purdue.edu/state/default.aspx

The EPA number for oxalic acid as a pesticide is 91266-1. At the database linked above, type in "91266" in the 1st part of the Registration Number Box, and "1" in the 2nd part of the box. Leave the 3rd part of the box blank.

( Larry, it seems the state of SC is not contributing data to that site, but NC also does show with OA registered by "CHEMICALS LAIF 712 FIFTH ST STE A C/O TSG, INC. DAVIS CA 95616")

TSG in Davis CA appears to just be a stalking horse for "CHEMICALS LAIF", and guess what ... "Chemicals Laif S.P.A." are also hooked up with "Api Life Var" which is another registered varroa pesticide.

They are an Italian company: http://chemicalslaif.it/it/homepage/
    That webite appears to be Italian language only, but Google Translate may be of assistance. In any case, I expect that an English language Oxalic Acid Registered Pesticide from those folks will soon be promoted by the remaining bee supply houses - like Mann Lake.

But I have seen no evidence that Florida Laboratories has a registered oxalic acid product available for sale in the USA. They certainly do not show up in the list of OA products registered in Florida.

Oxalic Acid treatment for bees is very very easy to make yourself. I wouldn't even consider buying it from a vendor. Just buy the crystals and mix it with water and sugar (for dribble) or put the crystals in a vaporizer. Many many treatments for $10.

Quote Originally Posted by smsmkiwi View Post
    Oxalic Acid treatment for bees is very very easy to make yourself. I wouldn't even consider buying it from a vendor. Just buy the crystals and mix it with water and sugar (for dribble) or put the crystals in a vaporizer. Many many treatments for $10.
    You're still buying OA from a vendor whether it's the legally labeled OA or not...….
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    You're still buying OA from a vendor whether it's the legally labeled OA or not...….

No, I did not. I bought the OA (99.8% pure) from a chemical lab supply company, Eisen-Golden Laboratories. If you can make a cup of instant coffee, you can make your own OA dribble or just put the crystals straight into the vaporizer.

I think the point is whether or not your OA is labeled correctly as a pesticide or just labeled as OA (generic labeled).

Side note: I can make ant poison from boric acid and sugar water but the boric acid is not labeled as a pesticide. (It also makes good shb poison)

Quote Originally Posted by smsmkiwi View Post
    No, I did not. I bought the OA (99.8% pure) from a chemical lab supply company
    ven·dor
    /ˈvendər,ˈvenˌdôr/Submit
    noun
    a person or company offering something for sale
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

A Receiver has been appointed, so liquidation of the assets seems to be the agenda.

"Brushy Mountain borrowed $6.9 million in the loans from Enterprise in 2014 and made its scheduled payments until it defaulted this past Sept. 30 by missing a payment, stated a complaint filed by Enterprise with the motion for a receiver on Nov. 16.... defaulted on an unpaid balance of more than $4.3 million..."

https://www.journalpatriot.com/news/...c157f9d5f.html

https://tinyurl.com/ybs9t8oe

That fits with what I saw at the local store, a very poorly run company.

"Brushy Mountain Bee Farm, one of the largest beekeeping equipment suppliers in the nation"
    Was this true? How did it compare to Mann lake and others?
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

CRAZY to hear they are gone! They made beautiful stuff but I just couldn't afford it on my scale. As such, I was left doing bulk orders from Mann Lake.

How do other suppliers compare to Mann Lake? I try to shop around here and there, but as they have a warehouse a couple hours north, I get free shipping, and it shows up overnight. Hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnmyke View Post
    CRAZY to hear they are gone! They made beautiful stuff but I just couldn't afford it on my scale.
    I agree. Some of their equipment was made very well but it was getting more and more expensive. If I'm not mistaken, medium frames had risen to $1.75 each and select medium supers were pushing (if not over) $20 each. I bought most of my equipment from them several years back and hate to see them go but can see how it happened with those prices.
    Beekeeping 6 Years - 12 production hives and about 12 nucs - Treatment OAV Only

I liked Brushy Mountain a lot. Shane was great to me. About a week ago activity showed up on my credit card for Brushy Mountain. Concerned at first, but turned it out they credited me for a store credit I had for returning some nuc boxes last year. I didn't ask for them to issue the credit. They just did it because they operated an honest business. It is a shame they are shutting down.

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Wonder if ML will keep the Kelley name intact or absorb it. Time will tell.
    ML WILL keep the Kelley name...for now.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnmyke View Post
    CRAZY to hear they are gone! They made beautiful stuff but I just couldn't afford it on my scale. As such, I was left doing bulk orders from Mann Lake.

How do other suppliers compare to Mann Lake? I try to shop around here and there, but as they have a warehouse a couple hours north, I get free shipping, and it shows up overnight. Hard to beat.
    Does ML charge sales to tax to out of state buyers? It all has to figure in to what your're actually paying for your supplies.
    Bee just and just bee

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Draggle View Post
    Does ML charge sales to tax to out of state buyers?
    It depends on the definition of "out of state".

If you are in a state that has a state sales tax, AND Mann Lake has "nexus" (more or less, a physical presence), then ML will have to collect sales tax on that sale to you.

Mann Lake has facilities in several states outside of their headquarters state of Minnesota. There is a branch in Woodland CA and in Wilkes-Barre, PA, so buyers in those states are also subject to ML collecting sales tax.

Beyond that it gets complicated. Mann Lake also owns a "sweeteners" company that has locations in several other states (Florida & Texas) where ML does not have "bee supply" branches. Whether that fulfills the legal definition of "nexus" is not clear to me, and probably best answered by asking ML directly.

Note that it is not always obvious why a vendor tries to collect sales tax when making an online purchase. I have in the past bought from Zoro.com, and was flummoxed as to why I was getting charged sales tax even though Zoro has no facilities in Tennessee, and ships to me from South Carolina. Finally I called Customer Service, and they explained that Zoro.com is owned by Grainger, who of course does have facilities in Tennessee.
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 12-16-2018 at 01:18 PM.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Mann Lake has certainly been the up and comer in the bee supply business.............just happening to coincide with the growth of small hobby beekeepers.
    Not surprising that this is happening what with national shipping. More and more, it seems, the small guys have a difficult time competing with the 'amazons' in whatever field.

Mann Lake vs Lappe's? I've only used Brushy MT for boxes and other hardware. I've used Lappe's for novelty things. Honey spoons, recipe books, etc...

Which asking to the more seasoned beeks is of quality and price until I can get better woodworking equipment.

Also I live in OK if that may matter for shipping and time of delivery.

Yes but their quality was exceptional.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast