Brushy Mountain Closing? - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Brushy Mountain Closing?

From their letter of introduction:

Honey and the Hive, LLC is a mobile beekeeping supply company that is a distributor of Brushy Mountain beekeeping equipment, along with additional custom woodenware. We plan to be available at most club meetings and events. We currently operate out of our homes in Powhatan and Gooochland counties, and are able to meet up for delivery, both at our homes and various locations around the greater Richmond area. For any questions or orders, please call Keith White, 804-690-9904 (Powhatan) or Doug Anderson, 804-501-8266 (Goochland)."

They have a mobile store in a fairly well stocked trailer. Give them a call next time you need something. They sell at the catalogue price. Nice folks.

Al Hollins is also a BM distributor in Mechanicsville and operates out his old honey house. PM me if you want his contact info. Don't want this appear as a solicitation to sell.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info on Honey and the Hive. Its always good to have resources to use and share.

I know Al Hollins well and still visit from time to time. Everything is going through his son Ronnie now.

Yes. It was Ronnie's email I would have sent you. He is very convenient for me locationwise, just a pain to place an order. I wonder how wide spread BM's authorized ditributor network is?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    From their letter of introduction:

Honey and the Hive, LLC is a mobile beekeeping supply company that is a distributor of Brushy Mountain beekeeping equipment, along with additional custom woodenware. We plan to be available at most club meetings and events. We currently operate out of our homes in Powhatan and Gooochland counties, and are able to meet up for delivery, both at our homes and various locations around the greater Richmond area. For any questions or orders, please call Keith White, 804-690-9904 (Powhatan) or Doug Anderson, 804-501-8266 (Goochland)."

They have a mobile store in a fairly well stocked trailer. Give them a call next time you need something. They sell at the catalogue price. Nice folks.

Al Hollins is also a BM distributor in Mechanicsville and operates out his old honey house. PM me if you want his contact info. Don't want this appear as a solicitation to sell.
    JWPalmer - Thanks for spreading the news. From my understanding it is the PA and OR stores that are closing. I think with the free shipping that everyone is offering, that it doesn't make sense to have stores all over the country, especially if their manufacturing is in one location. If they have to ship stuff to their other stores, then ship again to customers, it doesn't seem that it would make sense. When we got our initial inventory, we went to the NC store to pick it up and Shane gave us a tour of their manufacturing facility that is down at the bottom of the mountain. A very well run operation.

Quote Originally Posted by sc-bee View Post
    I just head this.... "Actually in April 2019, Brushy Mountain Correctional Center in Tennessee will be closing. Not connected to the Bee Farm in Moravian Falls, NC."

Could it be a confusion of names???
    Brushy Mountain Prison in Tennessee closed in 2009, not 2019.

If you ever get up around Northern Virginia, you should check out The Bee Store in Woodbridge.

From what Iíve heard, they have closed their sewing operations and possibly their woodworking. Folks there are reaching out for jobs.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Their website has been down all morning. Goes to a generic maintenance landing page. Maybe they're updating it to reflect the closure of subsidiary offices, like Ruhl?

Update: Tried calling the 800 number and just got voice mail.
    Last edited by zonedar; 11-09-2018 at 08:04 AM.

There is a post on the Friendly Beekeepers group on FB at 2:45pm EST that all 3 locations are now closed and the NC one will only reopen if they find a buyer.

Amazing that they would go under. I have to admit that I haven't bought from them in years but I always thought that they had a pretty big customer base.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

All my beekeeping woodenware that I do not make myself has come from BM. I sure hope that they are simply reorganizing. Would be a real shame if they closed for good.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I always thought that they had a pretty big customer base.
    Mismanagement....

Going out of business during the biggest 'bee boom' since WWII may well portend the future of the recent decade old trend.
    As Chaucer said >Everything comes to an end<.

Maybe, Mann Lake will buy the assets. They (ML) are now the ďAmazon ď of beekeeping.

I got a lot of my equipment from them several years back and like it. I hate to hear they may go out of business but recently they started pushing a lot of expensive novelty fads items like wireless hive scales. Frames were significantly more expensive than similar offerings from Mann Lake and other suppliers.
    Beekeeping 6 Years - 12 production hives and about 12 nucs - Treatment OAV Only

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Maybe, Mann Lake will buy the assets. They (ML) are now the ďAmazon ď of beekeeping.
    I'm new to beekeeping (2018 is my first year), but I made my first order last spring from Mann Lake and thought they were slow and unresponsive. So for my second order, this fall, I used Dadant and had a completely different (positive) experience.

Surprised to read this discussion about bee keeping supplies and no mention of Dadant?

- djb
    The best things in life aren't things.
    2 hives, started 2018

Quote Originally Posted by minz View Post
    they always treated me good. The supported all the bee clubs with raffle gifts and discounts. They will be missed in this area. Now where am I going to get good 1lb glass jars for free shipping?
    From the same place that Brushy Mountain likely got theirs from? www.fillmorecontainer.com At the website, search for "honey jars". Shipping isn't free but pickup is free in Lancaster, PA. A guy in my church makes jams and jellies for a living and goes there regularly and visits family and he has picked up jars for me. If you are close by there, it may be worth the trip, particularly if you can qualify for bulk pricing by getting a club order together. -james

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Maybe, Mann Lake will buy the assets. They (ML) are now the “Amazon “ of beekeeping.
    Or Miller Bee Supply in North Wilkesboro, NC...very close to Brushy Mountain Bee Farm. Miller has good equipment and pricing. -james
    \

Quote Originally Posted by zonedar View Post
    And unfortunately Ruhl Bee will not have any further opportunities to sell off remaining inventory."

Not sure what it means but it certainly isn't a positive regarding BM.
    It's not hard to read between these lines. 'No further opportunity to sell remaining inventory' says, that inventory has been seized.

With this event happing suddenly and abruptly on a Friday morning, is a clear telegraph to anybody that runs a business. This event was triggered by a funding shortfall when bi-weekly payroll obligations have become due.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast