Electrolyte/Vitamin Supplements - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I add 1/4tsp vitamin- electrolyte blend from the feed store to a 10 lb batch. About 3% of soy protein isolate powder. 5 capsules of branched-chain amino acid tablets. Those are from the health food store.

I add just enough water for it to clump. Pack it into the ?12 oz. cheap gladware rectangles. Placed over the inner cover, the bees cannot invade the upper box. Their natural moisture is captured, condensing on, and softening the sugar.

They clean them up very well. The small amount of protein and amino acids replaces some pollens.
    My bees like them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Electrolyte/Vitamin Supplements

Jeff Willard has a pretty good recipe. He uses the Agrilabs Vitamins and Electrolytes Plus supplement and adds it to a honey-bee-healthy concoction of 12 essential mint oils. Look him up on YouTube.
    He has also been studying NeverWet on aluminum strips as SHB barriers.

Kitchen chemistry concoctions are usually a bad idea, whether for feeding or treatment for pests and disease. Electrolytes? Vitamins? branched-chain amino acid tablets from the health food store? The benefits are questionable at best with no scientific basis. Most of this may be harmless to the bees but I darn sure wouldn't feed it to mine.

Kitchen chemistry concoctions are usually a bad idea, whether for feeding or treatment for pests and disease. Electrolytes? Vitamins? branched-chain amino acid tablets from the health food store? The benefits are questionable at best with no scientific basis. Most of this may be harmless to the bees but I darn sur
    ---------------------------------------------------!

I learned to do this from research posted on R. Oliver's site. You may have heard of it. It"s called "Scientific Beekeeping." The branched chain amino acids also came from reading research papers.
    Dont assume everything you are unaware of was pulled out of someone's shorts. Curious?
    Do your own research.

Hello Jadebees, It looks like I pushed your buttons a bit with my reply. If you were offended by my statement of “no scientific basis” then I apologize. The OP was asking for recommendations on using electrolytes and vitamins as a winter feed supplement. It was also stated “It would be really great if you had something to back up your opinion.” Several others were also questioning the science behind this. Then the thread seemed to morph into a discussion about protein/pollen subs which is an entirely different topic. There is no question that honey bee nutrition is critical to their health, I’m just careful what I feed them. And yes, I’m quite familiar with Randy’s research.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12