Top entrance

Thread: Top entrance

Default Top entrance

Morning everyone,
    Does anyone run a top entrance on an OH? The only good spot on a southern wall is near a walkway used by the public. If I can get the bees up to about 8 feet I think it might be ok, otherwise I'll have to put them on a North wall. This OH is being installed at an apiary and bee supply so it shouldn't catch folks by surprise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Top entrance

Jeff, text me a picture of the OH. Southern wall is best. Anyone coming to the honey house should expect bees.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I haven't bought or built it yet, I'm putting the interior in this building and I'm planning it's location. So... any recommendations are welcome!

Definitely fine for a top entrance. I've done this with great success. I'd suggest a screened bottom area for small debris. Get a skinny utility tray and velcro it to catch it. Pretty sure I heard The Bee Cause is going to all top entrances now, too.

Now that I am looking, I'm starting to see a lot of them with top entrances.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hive5ive View Post
    Now that I am looking, I'm starting to see a lot of them with top entrances.
    Thanks!
    Happy to help! One thing that can help them to get oriented is to cover the glass with a blanket or towel and the screened bottom area with tape for a day or two. They tend to go downward to the old entrance for a while.