Double nuc manufacturers?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Double nuc manufacturers?

I've bought Palmer style double nucs from Humble Abodes and I've been happy with them, but the shipping is killing me. Better Bee is even worse. I inquired at Mann Lake and they said they have no plans to offer double nucs. Is there any company that produces a Palmer style double nuc in the Western US or one that offers free shipping like Mann Lake? Even just the proper size 4 frame box would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Double nuc manufacturers?

Brushy Mountain sells them. They offer free shipping over $150.
    https://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Resource-Hive
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Agreed, shipping is a killer for double nucs. We should start a campaign to get Mann Lake to produce them. In the meantime, I am thinking of making my own with my CNC router. I got my first one from humble abodes.

Maby Mike Palmer will be kind enough to share his source.

Alex

Why not just make your own divider for the deep? Look up Beeline apiaries and woodware, they have a place out west and may make a custom size 4 frame nuc if you ask. They have done custom orders for me from their Michigan shop.
    Last edited by TNValleyBeeK; 11-02-2018 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Spelling

Dang, I'm ashamed to have suggested BM. Humble Abodes has really good pricing on their woodenware. How bad can shipping be?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Dang, I'm ashamed to have suggested BM. Humble Abodes has really good pricing on their woodenware. How bad can shipping be?
    Shipping approx doubles the price.

Quote Originally Posted by TNValleyBeeK View Post
    Why not just make your own divider for the deep? Look up Beeline apiaries and woodware, they have a place out west and may make a custom size 4 frame nuc if you ask. They have done custom orders for me from their Michigan shop.
    I do make my own divided deeps using deeps from Mann Lake. The 4 frame boxes are the ones I'm really needing. I'll have to look up Beeline.

It would be simple to narrow the end pieces of mann lakes unassembled nuc boxes since they are rabbeted joints. https://www.mannlakeltd.com/unassemb...x-select-grade
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Madsen View Post
    Agreed, shipping is a killer for double nucs. We should start a campaign to get Mann Lake to produce them. In the meantime, I am thinking of making my own with my CNC router. I got my first one from humble abodes.

Maby Mike Palmer will be kind enough to share his source.

Alex
    Pretty sure Palmer makes his own, like many others do.

I could see just pushing 5 frame nucs together and doing something to keep them stable --strapping the whole stack or using hive staples on the bottom boards.
    8 years, 8 hives

I have the Amish make mine.

I wanted one of those from Brushy Mountain in August but the budget was tight so I didn't order. And now it is too late
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

These are not hard to make with a regular deep. Build the bottom board with a center divider. Here is mine fresh off the saw.Homemade resource hive body.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    Pretty sure Palmer makes his own, like many others do.
    Exactly. I don't see how folks can afford woodenware from the supply houses.

I made some a while back by cutting full-sized brood boxes Mann-Lake had on special offer (with free delivery - when they were over here trying to break into the UK market) in half(*), and then adding sides. This proved to be a very cheap and quick way of making half-width nuc boxes. But then M-L pulled out, the supply of uber-cheap boxes dried up, and so now I make my own from scratch.
    LJ

(*) half, less the thickness of the side to be added - for butt joints.
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

This is exactly what i am doing. cutting down mann lake deep boxes from the mill run sale. I set my tablesaw fence at 4 1/16" and trim the ends of the box to cut a section out of the center with the handle and then glue the 2 halfs together. This lets me use the finger joints that are already there. I will glue a cleat on each end to serve as a handle. Plus i can use the center section i cut out to make 2-4 frame nucs or mating nucs so there is no waste. I will probably order another batch this next year and continue doing this. The mill run boxes i have gotten have all been good some trimming on the box joints is needed at times but they are very serviceable and at 8.95 each they are pretty dang cheap. i ordered 40 deeps and am making 3 sets of 4x4x4 double nucs and using the rest for brood boxes to try and grow my apiary this year.

Quote Originally Posted by thesecurityeagle View Post
    These are not hard to make with a regular deep. Build the bottom board with a center divider. Here is mine fresh off the saw.Homemade resource hive body.jpg
    A router cut to the same depth as the frame rest and a 3/8" ply divider and a center divider on the bottom board. I put a cheap plastic queen excluder on top to keep queens separate. The bees of the divided cluster that forms get along perfectly and augment each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Exactly. I don't see how folks can afford woodenware from the supply houses.
    Michael, I love the concept of overwintering nucs, using them as brood factories, etc. But in your opinion what is the advantage of the divided bottom box? Why not 2 standard 4 or 5 frame nucs stacked 2 high, pushed together with opposing entrances? I have several of the divided boxes I use for making splits, mating nucs, etc. but I've never taken the time to make the boxes that would go on top. Appreciate your feedback.
    Last edited by SWM; 12-01-2018 at 04:10 PM.

MP >>> "Exactly. I don't see how folks can afford woodenware from the supply houses"..

Its easy Mike you just work 2 jobs. I make some myself but just call Stewart at Shastina Millwork I have purchased a few hundred from them the last several years. Here's a though too. Sit down and calculate the cost of materials sometime involved in buying the lumber or modifying deeps yourself. Glue, staples, primer a couple coats of paint. My time has become much more valuable over the last 5-6 years so I have learnt to negotiate some items and cost them out. Shastina even sent me a couple pallets assembled, primed and painted nuc boxes. Their boxes are very good.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

ktg

Shastina is in Oregon by the way. Get a quote on freight to the closest terminal to where you live and pick them up.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast