Double nuc box or single 10 frame

Default Double nuc box or single 10 frame

Hello everyone, I have a 5 frame nuc with another 5 frame nuc on top. All 10 frames drawn out. I was wondering if I should move them.over to a 10 frame single deep or leave them in the 5x5 for wintering. I'm in Oklahoma so winters are nothing like the northern states just wondering if either one is better than the other or is it just a preference. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Double nuc box or single 10 frame

Be nice if it was 3 high with the third one full of feed. Probably too late for that. We winter many in double fours but we do have wind breaks. Stay on top of emergency feed situation. Maybe sugar brick it now.

They are still taking down 2:1 and bringing in pollen, both artificial and real pollen. Should I add another nuc box on top and give them 5 frames of drawn comb or would they not be able to cure the 2:1 in time for condensation purposes. Queen is still laying just has slowed down. We have been in the 70s but cool front coming in tonight. Probably be around upper 50s low 60s for the next few weeks lows around upper 30s low 40s something like that I'm sure till December

Leave them. Maybe strap a couple deep to stop it from getting blowed over.

I concur. Leave them in the 5 over 5 configuration. Keep feeding as long as they will take it. Most of my nucs are med over deep with feeders still on them. Still trying to get the super frames from this summer filled with syrup.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I overwintered 70 double deep nucs last year. They do great. I would move them over to 10 frame as soon as the spring weather hits. I had a hard time keeping them in the nucs even after adding space.

Double NUC's work just fine providing there's also enough room for stores. I run (3) NUC bodies but the top one is used for feeding. If the population expands more than (8) frames (in the Spring) they go into (10) frame equipment.

The internet is instant, and the internet is often wrong-Kim Flottum