who makes the best smoker - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: who makes the best smoker

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I think they are selling them at your nearest Packard dealership.
    I have a really beat up one that I treasure. It was in the seventies when I bought it. Packards are older than that!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I much prefer using an insert with my smoker. Where do you get yours?

303 peach or pumpkin pie filling can

Just saying, the life of a smoker can be extended by slipping a slightly smaller can in the smoker can for the burn chamber. And yes, some holes need to be made in the bottom of the new can for the bellows air flow.

And as for your question. "who makes the best one? i dont want to have to go though a bunch of them to find out."
    In order for you to actually "know" which is indeed "best" for you, "you" would actually need to go through the specific details of all of them.

But you know, from use of a 30 year old smoker, it doesn't require much to make smoke. Simply a can, bellows, and connecting tube.

Things you may want to consider:
    -Do you want/need a surrounding heat sheild?
    -Do you want one with new space age synthetic bellows? Is that really better than "old school" leather?
    -Do you need a status symbol?
    -Do you want to spend gobs of money on a smoker?
    -Do you want some form of hanging hook?
    -Do you want a simple bellows,can/tube without the extra accoutrements?

Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by jnqpblk View Post

Things you may want to consider:
    -Do you want/need a surrounding heat sheild?
    -Do you want one with new space age synthetic bellows? Is that really better than "old school" leather?
    -Do you need a status symbol?
    -Do you want to spend gobs of money on a smoker?
    -Do you want some form of hanging hook?
    -Do you want a simple bellows,can/tube without the extra accoutrements?

Food for thought.
    A heat shield? Yes, I recommend one, they can get pretty hot and the integrated hanging hook is another good reason to get one.
    Synthetic bellows? I have tried them, I don't like them but for occasional use they are fine.
    A status symbol? Huh? That is a different perspective. To me they are just a tool.
    Gobs of money? You can decide for yourself, the top of the line is around $40 and they last a long time.

Heres a little video I did a few years back. Not the greatest video but I tried to be fair and it is from the perspective of someone that lights a smoker daily and uses them pretty hard. My concerns about the lightly built shield were well founded. They simply aren't rugged enough for the kind of use/abuse they get from everyday use. ML apparently heard beekeeper concerns about the lack of protection under the smoker box that I mentioned and their latest version includes that extra protection.
    My overall conclusion, a few years later, is that I really like the ML smoker particularly the larger opening in both the bellows and the firebox. They light easier and stay lit better. I like the slightly higher capacity as well. I have never cared for the 10" smoker as I find them a bit tippy and if you use pellets even a 7" will last a good part of the day. My concerns about the hinge were unfounded and my rivet protrusion concerns have also turned out to be a non issue as well. My greatest dislike continues to be that the shield is not nearly as sturdy as the Dadant shield and because I use the hook a lot it makes the whole smoker a bit flimsy. I retrofitted a ML with the Dadant shield and while it dosent mate perfectly, it is an improvement.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-glym5K23g
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

+1 Dadant.

Adam
    https://vpqueenbees.com

Dadant. Every other smoker I've tried just annoyed me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12