Powering electrical extractor when camping at apiary

Default Powering electrical extractor when camping at apiary

I have an electric honey spinning extractor. I have an apiary which I'm having some logistic issues with taking the frames back home to spin, so I'd like to try and extract my honey when out in my apiary.

Problem is I don't have an electrical source available to me out at the apiary. I'm wondering if there's a way I can take an electrical source out there with me. Would a generator work, or would that cost too much money for it to be worthwhile? Would solar panels be able to run an extractor? What about taking a bunch of batteries?

Any suggestion is appreciated. Otherwise, I'm thinking of spending hundreds to buy myself a manual spinning extractor. I might be able to pick up a two frame manual extractor for under $500. Seems like it'd take a long time to hand spin dozens of frames though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Powering electrical extractor when camping at apiary

Extracting honey outside anywhere near your bees is not going to turn out well. If you do get an inexpensive hand crank unit and try it, be sure to catch it on video.

Back to your original question, I am pretty sure you can run an extractor on an inverter hooked to your truck's battery.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Like JW says use an inverter on your vehicle and they are not very expensive.Now extracting out in the field would be a heck of a challenge.Maybe one of those mosquito net canopy might work but you might have a wall of bees on it.Some people used to pull their camper to their apiaries to extract inside of.

unless you have a really fancy speed controller a generator will probably be fine. Solar panels will not put out any where near enough power unless you have a lot and you will still need an inverter.

I was thinking they make screened sides for ez up canopies. Maybe an easy up and attaching the sides would work really well. You could also extract after dark if you are a bit away from the hives.

Extract in the day and the honey will attract every bee in your apiary. Extract at night and the lights will attract every other insect in the area.

I'd work on solving the logistics of taking them back home to spin. A few extra supers with tops and bottoms to put the frames in for transport will be a lot cheaper than a generator and shelter to keep the bugs away.
    Zone 6B

It would be nice to know how many hives or super are we talking about.? I would take a bunch of empty Super out with me and bring back full. The other thought is put up a small building. And store extra equipment in or do some extracting like you was thinking. Most small inverter or generators would run a extractor.

If your extractor is available as a hand cranked model you could probably buy the parts to make it back into hand driven. Doesn't address the problem of curious bees though.
    Bill

Unless it is an AC/DC motor modified syn wave inverters do not work too well and if you get a full syn wave inverter you will need at least 4 times the motor rating to be able to start the thing so I would say you are better off with a generator. Maybe you could get away with a smaller inverter if you have speed control and could get a little bit of a soft start. I would try to find someone with an inverter and try the extractor out before investing in an inverter.
    Johno

There's just seven beehives out at this apiary. I figure I'd be able to spin the honey inside my van with all the doors closed. Here's a photo of the electrical plate on my extractor:

https://imgur.com/a/F81O384

if you are feeling brave you could also replace the electric motor with a gas (lawnmower or similar) motor and a pulley.

If there any sort of speed controller or is the motor on/off only? It looks like it may be an on/off only AC motor, and if so it probably will not care about the fact that the power coming from a (cheaper) generator is not very "clean"

Not sure what RPM 90-60 means on that motor but if it means that the output is of the order of 90 RPM then it probably directly replaced a hand crank. 110 watts is about 1/7 horsepower. If you can find or fabricate a crank, you can easily produce 1/7 horsepower for a short time.
    Bill

Using your truck 's electrical power with an inverter is probably the simplest and cheapest source. Use an electrical drill for a cheap, adjustable source of rotary power.