Ah, about free political signs.

Default Ah, about free political signs.

You do know that many campaigns do collect and reuse their signs. Clean Election candidates in particular cannot consider them a single use item. For many the next campaign is only 2 years away, and four years is not that long for the cost of signs. Ask your local party committee if they store signs.

Referendum signs are pretty much a one shot deal though.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Ah, about free political signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    You do know that many campaigns do collect and reuse their signs. Clean Election candidates in particular cannot consider them a single use item. For many the next campaign is only 2 years away, and four years is not that long for the cost of signs. Ask your local party committee if they store signs.

Referendum signs are pretty much a one shot deal though.
    I make it a point to only pick up the signs of the losers and I normally do it on election night. I get dozens of them. I usually leave the signs of the winners or those that might be involved in a run-off (in primaries). I am not aware of any "Clean Election" program in Alabama. I also do not believe our political signs are recycled or reused. Except by beekeepers and gun enthusiasts (target boards).

I have collected mine in two big batches:

Once, many years ago after a state-wide candidate lost the election despite a tsunami of signs. I looked up the phone number listed on the Sate Board of Elections for the candidate. It turned out to be his home number and his wife answered. When I explained why I called, she said I could have them all as "they were never going to run for election again!" (And they haven't, though the 50 or so signs I bagged that day are still in service in my bee yard.)

At a county fair a couple of years ago, I met a local judge running for election (we do that here in NY). I asked about signs after the election. He said he'd get back to me. A few weeks before the election his Dad (and campaign manager) called and asked me if I was still interested. "Yes," I said, but hastened assure him I that wouldn't disturb any before Election Day. He then asked if I had a truck, which seemed odd. But then he explained they had some they didn't plan on using and could give me right away. When I arrived they loaded 13 cases of 100 signs each on to my trailer. Some days you just get lucky, by asking politely, first. (The judge won because he was running unopposed.)

Nancy

Good grief Nancy. That last haul has to be a lifetime supply.

Taking signs can get you into legal trouble if caught doing so without permission. Locally we have had a problem with people stealing signs during the election. Dirty politics.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

What are you using them for? Small hive beetle traps or??? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillybees View Post
    What are you using them for? Small hive beetle traps or??? Thanks
    I use them to slide in under my SBBs for OAV treatments and mite drop monitoring.

I use mine all the time.

1) Every colony has one permanently parked on top of the cover, cantilevered out about 6- 8 inches. This give the two front entrances some useful rain protection and keeps things dry.

2) I use them to cover boxes off the stack when I am working bees. I never set a box on its edge with both top and bottom exposed. I set mine down flat on a temp base and cover every box with a political sign. Bees stay much quieter, the brood stays warmer and it deters robbing. I had dozen in service today as I was taking off honey and generally consolidating my 5-deep stacks into something more winter-friendly. I use them under stacks, with a shim underneath the box so the bees and comb can hang down safely. And then another one on top. My 10-frames deep supers are so heavy that I have to take about four or five frames out to manage lifting them that high. So the temporary frame dump boxes have one underneath and another as a cover. Very handy way to work, IM O.

Nancy

We call this 'fluted plastic sheet' Correx in the UK (though that's a trade name and doesn't apply to most in circulation). In addition to political advertising it's used for signs outside houses that are 'For Sale'. These are often discarded when the property is sold, not unusually just being dumped in the street. You can also buy large sheets inexpensively.

I make hive roofs from it for about $2 per roof.

and I use smaller sheets for the removable slide in Cloake boards for queen rearing, for Varroa trays, for landing boards and dozens of other uses.

It's fantastic stuff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Apiarist - beekeeping in Fife, Scotland

It's doubly fantastic, because it would otherwise be discarded, or left cluttering up the landscape.

There is already some sunk environmental cost in anything made of plastic, if you can contrive to find other uses for it before finally presenting it for recycling, that's a huge bonus.

@Fatshark - I love what you've done with it - especially those little entrance-identifying markers. Those are genius! I hope you don't mind that I will be copying that idea in a NY minute. I have balked at painting something like that permanently on my boxes, but folded-over and painted pieces Correx are just the ticket. Changing out boxes - just move the identifier with the bees. I will be adding something similar for my winter bees in the next week or two. I am always perplexed by the loss of visual identification when I encase my bees in their look-alike winter jackets. Thank you!

Nancy