Relative Mite Counts in a Treatment-Free Context - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Relative Mite Counts in a Treatment-Free Context

Looks like I need to issue an apology to Sibylle !!!

I don't recall what I wrote, I try to chagen peoples positions on an intellectual level, not the person... Seems like I may have been typeing and didn't think it threw.. for that I am sorry.. I do put my foot in my mouth some times..

While I dissagree with many of her positions, we are all better for having her, along with her passion and commitment in the conversation.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I still have access but Im not takinging it back this time.
    SP has my e-mail adress and the permission to give it to those interested.
    I need my energy to my project, not to defend myself here. I want to enjoy life with my bees not be abused every time I look into a forum.

Good luck to all and goodbye.

Following-up on relative mite drop numbers, I recently read in Dr. Seeley's 2017 research publication, "Life-history traits of wild honey bee colonies living in forests around Ithaca, NY, USA" the following: "Colonies with mite-drop counts below 30 mites/48 h had nearly zero mortality, but colonies above 30 mites/48 h suffered higher mortality, reaching 100% when count was 90+ mites/48 h." Has anyone conducted periodic 48 h mite counts in a treatment-free paradigm that were significantly above these thresholds in colonies that continued to thrive and overwinter successfully or does this research suggest that there are relative mite drop thresholds at various seasonal development periods that might be predictive of future colony demise? Figure 3 in the publication shows the 6-year results of tri-annual (Pre-Swarm Spring, Post-Primary Swarm Summer and Post-Secondary Swarm Fall) 48 hour mite drop measurements of 23 colony sites and typically show the prototypical relatively low mite figures in Spring, rising through the year and reaching critical mass in the Fall on the hives that ultimately did not overwinter. By my count, there were only two colonies in the study that suffered Winter demise with Fall mite counts below 30, and eight colonies with Fall mite counts above 35 which overwintered successfully (the highest being 79). There are obviously many other factors to consider in this analysis, but does this research square with what everyone is observing in their apiaries?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123