Ahoi!

Thread: Ahoi!

Default Ahoi!

Hello, all,

I realized I should have been posting to this sub-forum all along.

Yes I am pursuing treatment free. I am also avoiding sugar water feeding. I do feed honey at times.

I was having three hives going into the winter, but it looks like one of them probably swarmed just now. So i'm done to two, one of which is a top bar nuc I purchased in late August, that I installed in a deep horizontal hive.

The other is a 46" top bar hive with 15" bars. I refer to it alternately as the "B" hive because it has the letter B painted on the lid, or "Franken-hive" because of all the strange cross-comb it produced earlier in the season and how poorly I have treated it, yet it still keeps rocking.

Anyways, I'm disappointed by the late swarm. My wife was asking me if I was discouraged yet. Nope not all.

heart,
    Thomas
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Ahoi!

Welcome! There is definitely some TF guys to bounce ideas off of.
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

So, Thomas, based on what I know by now it - this can be done and I am also working on it (3rd season, chem-free, outlook is optimistic with 13 units going into the winter).

Wanted to share few ideas here..... and deleted them all - not worth it rehashing the N-th time.
    Search the BS and get those ideas yourself.
    They are all in front of you.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Hello, all,
    Welcome.

I was having three hives going into the winter, but it looks like one of them probably swarmed just now. So i'm done to two, …
    Did they abscond, with virtually all the bees leaving, or did they cast a swarm, with half or less of the bees leaving?
    David Matlock

Hi Thomas and welcome.