best entrance position for top bar hive - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: best entrance position for top bar hive

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    Came across this (a photo I'd meant to attach to the above post, but couldn't find it at that time) earlier today whilst looking for something else. Better late than never ...

Unfortunately I can't remember where the entrance was relative to those combs, other than being underneath them.

LJ
    Either #1 or #2 (see edited pic).
    CrossComb2.jpg
    I feel somewhere around #1 is more likely.
    This is because the top bars (I think I can see the top bars) suggest the direction of the entrance if set the cold way (probably is).

On this picture, the newest comb is being built the furthest from the entrance (the newest comb is clearly visible in the opposite end of the proposed entrances).
    The oldest combs would be reasonably close to the entrance (NOT the longest, I would disagree, LJ, that the longest is build first - that's my swarm trapping experience talking).
    They start by the entrance and progress in-wards.
    The second or third comb from the entrances is the probably the oldest (not the first though).
    Assuming the swarm was reasonably large, they would start a reasonably large comb first, hence the second or the third.
    Now, IF the swarm was tiny, than the first comb right in the corner could be the first to build (due to the limited workforce).

All in all, this is a great demo of how misguided the ideas of either cold or warm entrance ways are.
    The bees will chose neither if they only can.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame experimentation.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    I would not do #3 once you opted for #2.
    This will be confusing to the bees and to yourself as well.
    Just add another hole in #2 and stay consistent, IMO.
    Ok cool, i was going to drill another hole just around the corner from my position 2 hole in position 3 but if you think it may cause confusion maybe i will just drill another 20mm hole above the first one, cause the legs are in the way to try and drill one on the side. One above the other should be ok i hope. The first hole is approx 10mm or 3/8 of an inch above floor level. you don't think the second one will be to high.
    Maybe this pic is better.

20181111_135545.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Libee View Post
    Ok cool, i was going to drill another hole just around the corner from my position 2 hole in position 3 but if you think it may cause confusion maybe i will just drill another 20mm hole above the first one, cause the legs are in the way to try and drill one on the side. One above the other should be ok i hope. The first hole is approx 10mm or 3/8 of an inch above floor level. you don't think the second one will be to high.
    Maybe this pic is better.

20181111_135545.jpg
    Why, sure.
    Just drill above and be done.
    No need to over-analyze the minor details (after you already decided on the major strategy).
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame experimentation.

Has anybody ever tried putting the entrances underneath the hive?

Quote Originally Posted by kzimmerman View Post
    Has anybody ever tried putting the entrances underneath the hive?
    Not a great idea in many ways.
    For example, you have no control over the direction of the bees' flight.
    No matter where you stand (when inspecting), bees could be bumping into your legs.
    You gonna like it?
    Maybe not.

But keep in mind, the external entrance hole location is not the same as internal entrance into the bee nest (they could be, but not necessarily so).
    See about under-frame racks, buffers, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12