wrapping hives in a cold climate - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: wrapping hives in a cold climate

Dancing Bee equipment has the Cozy Wrap winter wrap very cheap. I bought 10 double and when all was set and done, each wrap about at about $14 USD delivered. Love the currency conversion. The American bee suppliers have them for between $22 to $29 each. Can't beat the Canadians.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I am in N.C. so do not need a lot of insulation. But I would like to add the foam board insulation to the top of the hive under the TS outer cover. Should I place the foil wrap towards the hive? Or towards the top?
    I know in house insulation you want the foil towards the house (heat) to prevent the insulation from absorbing moisture, but I’m confused with the hive. I do not want moisture condensing, then falling on the cluster. Any help would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Kcnc1 View Post
    I am in N.C. so do not need a lot of insulation. But I would like to add the foam board insulation to the top of the hive under the TS outer cover. Should I place the foil wrap towards the hive? Or towards the top?
    I know in house insulation you want the foil towards the house (heat) to prevent the insulation from absorbing moisture, but I’m confused with the hive. I do not want moisture condensing, then falling on the cluster. Any help would be appreciated
    The foil is designed to function as a radiant barrier to gain additional thermal performance. The foil is designed to face inward.

How does everyone feel about top and bottom entrance size in relation to mice getting in , I'm using two 3/8 x 3/8 holes for bottom entrance in my mouse guards and they are one each positioned towards the sides so cold air doesn't go directly up the middle but rather along the sides of the box . Also top entrance I was keeping at 7/16 drill size so mice couldn't enter there either , , sometimes the 7/16 seems small but anything bigger I'm afraid mice will get in .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12