Have Bay Area Beekeepers Queens Shut Down For The Winter?

Default Have Bay Area Beekeepers Queens Shut Down For The Winter?

Just checking in with other Bay Area bee keepers. Checked both my Italian hives yesterday and it would appear both my queens have shut down egg production recently. I saw capped a little capped brood but no eggs or larvae. Just checking to see if other Bay Area beekeepers Italians have also begun to shut down for winter?

Thanks,
    Brad

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Have Bay Area Beekeepers Queens Shut Down For The Winter?

Bump.

Depends what neighborhood you are in and what phase your colonies are in. I saw big sheets of sealed brood last week in established hives in a marginal neighborhood. I saw lots of eggs and young larvae in divides I made with queens born on 9/22. They will, with feeding and clear weather, be laying all winter and become producing colonies by February. I had a queen born on 12/23 last winter and mate successfully. This is the temperate Bay Area.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Depends what neighborhood you are in and what phase your colonies are in. I saw big sheets of sealed brood last week in established hives in a marginal neighborhood. I saw lots of eggs and young larvae in divides I made with queens born on 9/22. They will, with feeding and clear weather, be laying all winter and become producing colonies by February. I had a queen born on 12/23 last winter and mate successfully. This is the temperate Bay Area.
    As someone born and raised in Berkeley, I'm envious!

I live in Atlanta now, and I console myself by having a sweet house with 3/4 of an acre within biking distance to work for gardening, chickens, bees, etc., that costs only about 1/3 of what an entry-level house back in the bay costs.

Do they ever shut down for the winter here? I have never seen them broodless here on the Peninsula coast. From my three-season, a few backyard hives experience, the queens slow down in November and then in December the bees start drawing wax and raise drones.

I believe that now they are making up for the long weeks of cold and windy spring and of cold, windy and dry summer. No reason to shut down now when forage is available again and it has been warm and quiet.

This is the reason why OAV is of limited use here; had to cage a queen in one hive to create brood break.

Mine in Marin aren't "shut down", but certainly are laying a lot less than earlier in the year - this is the normal cycle. One that's a cutout I did about three weeks ago is laying a lot, perhaps to make up for some of the bees lost in the process and move. Today it's sunny and warm and they're bringing in some pollen.

In San Ramon queens are still laying and I have plenty of larvae of various sizes. We have had really nice weather the last few weeks. Seems a little slower than summer though.

Not at all. This is from a really great queen (was taken a few weeks ago) but I have solid patterns across the board. IMG_5C5525CB74DD-1.jpg

I would be concerned if I was you.