Sticky board OAV counts

Default Sticky board OAV counts

Doing OAV every 5 days I am on treatment 3 today. Have been logging counts on sticky board every 24 hours. Can I use this data to know when I have achieved a tolerable number? 8 frame med setups w 3 and 4 boxes tall. Bees are clustering now and hesitant to do alcohol wash.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Sticky board OAV counts

I would see what falls after treatment #6, by then very few mites should fall and that would mean that you have considerably reduced your mite load. I would still give them a couple more treatments when you know they are broodless and that will set you up for the spring. If you have approx 50,000 bees in your hive divide the number of mites fallen by 50,000 then multiply that total by 100 and it will give you the total percentage of mites on your bees. If you just do that math on the number that fell up to 3 days after your 6th treatment it will then tell you what the last percentage was on your bees and if this is lower than 1% you should be OK, but still do a couple of treatments when they are broodless.
    Johno

Exactly what I needed to know thanks johno. I recall reading in Formic pro instructions that 6 deep Frames covered with bees both sides is approx 10,000 bees. I am on mediums so I will calculate from there to obtain my percentages.

Tmac, I would guess medium frames covered with bees at about 1000 bees per frame and what you lose on the swings you gain on the roundabout but it ends up as an educated guess which will give you a good idea as to what is happening.
    Johno

Hmmm swings and roundabouts I think I know what your saying. I enjoy differences in lingo, kinda like pop and soda. Had it not been for my parents moving to MIchigan I would be from the land of lovers a.k.a. VA. Ever heard of a small town called Clintwood VA?

I've never given more than three treatments. You don't need and probably can't achieve perfection. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts you have the problem very well taken care of at this point. I've never treated clustering bees, not sure that would work very well. When I've treated 3 times, all mediums, usually 3 boxes tall, I've killed Thousands with the first treatment. Hundreds with the second and less than a hundred with the 3rd and I never treated beyond that because of the diminishing returns. Now I usually treat TWICE. Once in early spring before the main build up and then again going into winter around thanksgiving. And I mean twice, once each time. Those two treatments dramatically cut my hive losses, and increase my honey production. Again, work vs diminishing returns. I've got no problems with people that test and treat and treat 5 times on a particular schedule. I've simply found that for my efforts, not wasting time counting and doing extra treatments works very well.
    Good luck!
    Robbin NW Florida(8A) / 14 hives / 5 Nucs / 6th Year / T {OAV & MMK}