Too many questions.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Too many questions....

Quote Originally Posted by springersports View Post
    Hmmm - thanks for the info. But I think I will pass -
    Edit: seems we are almost neighbors!
    Dont pass up chances on inspectors.They are not going to take your bees,destroy them or fine you or anything like that.An inspector coming out is a rather enjoyable experience.Remember they are there to help you and not cause problems.They will also show you tricks and tips to help you.All the inspectors I have had come by were really nice people and they love talking about bees.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Beekeeping is a lot more fun when your hives are not dying for no apparent reason. If your stock is not proven TF, you really should consider treating with OA or formic acid. Both of these "chemicals" occur naturally. As Squarepeg was alluding to, even a proven TF hive can be overloaded when it's bees rob out a hive that failed from mites. I would raise queens from the hive that has gone 4 years TF and requeen all the other hives this spring. Sounds like you have a winner in that one.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Hmmm - thanks for the info. But I think I will pass -
    Edit: seems we are almost neighbors!
    Yes, we are. Do you get your bees from Charles N.?

Quote Originally Posted by couesbro View Post
    Yes, we are. Do you get your bees from Charles N.?
    No - Phil E

No - Phil E
    Ok, I think he started around Fairfield originally. Still close to our neck of the woods.

I believe Oxalic acid and formic acid are organic treatments.

Ok, you don't want to treat with chemicals. I can dig it. So I'm guessing you might choose to use vinegar, acetic acid, as an organic weed killer and/or soil amendment. Or, perhaps you use the old organic standby of nicotine instead of petro-chems to kill aphids. And when you get an infestation of ants or roaches in your home, petrro-chemical pesticides are out of the question. Again you might turn to an organic treatment, perhaps boric acid for a safer, very effective alternative.

So why not choose another organic acid, oxalic acid, as an alternative to chemicals to treat for mites? It has an excellent and long record in Europe for efficacy. It doesn't show any sign of mites building any resistance to it so far (as opposed to amitraz), and when used as directed, it is completely safe to use. It is arguably the best treatment available.

IMO, it is about as much of an "Organic treatment" as you can get.
    Never ask a barber it he thinks you need a haircut.

That sounds like a winner! Thanks, Hops

Just saying, one of the most common answers given by a beek seeking answers to many hive problems, when asked about how they treat for mites, they say they don't. That answer oftentimes says loads about the reason for the problems. And they also get no sympathy from me.

Thanks so much for that comment - good thing I wasn’t asking for sympathy!! ��
    Last edited by springersports; 10-26-2018 at 07:25 AM.

[QUOTE= You might want to zero in on some Treatment Free (TF) posts and articles out there and see if that's a better fit.[/QUOTE]

I was treatment free for almost ten years with lower than national hive loss each year until.... The past two years I've experienced what has been termed "the mite bomb". I lost all but one or two hives in yards of ten in these past two years. I've now gravitated to the oxalic treatments. Just sayin' Mike in LA (Lower Alabama)

Getting back into this discussion, I was also TF for several years, then started hearing about an increase in mites in this area. When the yearly inspection rolled around, I was told that they were really bad this year and also that my hives had significant mites. Went out bought some wood bleach (Oxalic Acid) and a syringe and did a dribble. Did that a year or so then went to vapor.

My first hive was a swarm that came up out of the woods and moved into a vacant hive which I was planning on getting a package for. Years passed, was TF, did a couple of splits and all was well. Being a hobbyist, I casually read about TF, genetics and such and "assumed" by wild swarm was OK. They were until they weren't.

Similar experience with SHB, read about them here and "assumed" they were a problem for "down south." About three years ago heard they were being seen locally and then I saw them in my hives.

Now, I don't do mite counts, etc. just OAV for mites and put out traps for beetles. The investment of time and money that even a hobbyist puts into their hives, seems dumb not to treat. JMHO

Good luck,

Exmar and Bkprm - thanks a lot for your replies. You are right about it being a total waste of time (as well as the bees) not to treat -especially when I started having problems. That one hive lasted five years and then I lost it over the winter. I was stuck but thanks to all the good explanations on here I’m starting to treat. I have the beetles for sure but also am pretty sure the mites. Grateful for your help. Now - if I could just figure out how to do a split.... ha! If there are good articles that someone could point me to - please do!

Google splits, you have all winter to watch and read and develop your action plan. I've only done "newspaper" splits but worked OK.

Michael Bush gives a great general overview of splits. If you see a couple methods that sound interesting do a google search on that particular "type" of split, and with the links that come up you can really drill down into the specifics.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beessplits.htm
    To everything there is a season....

Rusty Burlew has some great articles on splits too. She explains in detail the differences between the many ways of making successful splits, depending on your objectives. Her website is www.honeybeesuite.com
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

So in checking out mite treatments I discovered Oxalika vaporizer... has anyone heard or used one of these? Seems simple and vapor would get everywhere...?

Yes, it works, but is slower than band heater vaporizers that are the same price. Look at Johno's band vaporizer here on this site.

Oxalika takes about 5 minutes per hive give or take. It could be possible to fry your queen with this one, not likely, but possible.

Johno's takes 1/2 minute to a minute give or take.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12