How are your bees looking going into winter?

Default How are your bees looking going into winter?

Hello, wanted to start a thread to see how other commercial beekeepers bees are looking going into winter and getting ready for almonds in February. I got ~500 hives. ~400 are looking like 10+ framers for february and about 100 6-8 framers. Fed a total of 6 gallons each hive starting in mid august. Need to check food of each individual hive and feed another gallon to the low ones. Still about 100 hives that somehow have almost no stored honey. Most hives have have the top story in all honey and bottom with bees/brood and some honey. Taking them to California right after new years. My bees typically overwinter pretty good. The area i keep them in has 30 degree lows at night and 45-50 degree highs in December.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: How are your bees looking going into winter?

Bees are looking good here in norcal finishing up mite treatments this weekend bees have been fed a lot most are 10 frames plus have a few 8 framers been warm here still in the 80s ready for a good cold spell and a much deserved break

Default Re: How are your bees looking going into winter?

Quote Originally Posted by R055 View Post
    Hello, wanted to start a thread to see how other commercial beekeepers bees are looking going into winter and getting ready for almonds in February. I got ~500 hives. ~400 are looking like 10+ framers for february and about 100 6-8 framers. Fed a total of 6 gallons each hive starting in mid august. Need to check food of each individual hive and feed another gallon to the low ones. Still about 100 hives that somehow have almost no stored honey. Most hives have have the top story in all honey and bottom with bees/brood and some honey. Taking them to California right after new years. My bees typically overwinter pretty good. The area i keep them in has 30 degree lows at night and 45-50 degree highs in December.
    Well...I'm just north of you....Maple Valley, Fall City. Bees are looking great. If you pop the hoods on a few of yours you notice a nice coating of white wax courtesy of the English ivy. My nucs look fantastic and I'm looking forward to late February, early March