Small Hive Beetles - one at a time....

Question Small Hive Beetles - one at a time....

Hi, y'all,

I'm sure most of you have seen a small hive beetle scurrying in and out of comb cells. I know the general measures, traps, etc.

I was just wondering if anyone had a specific technique for dealing with the beetle in the moment, scurrying around the comb. Tweezers? Nail?

-Thomas
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Small Hive Beetles - one at a time....

This may not be the best way or even recommended, but I shake the bees off the comb, then tap the comb flat sided on the lid of the adjacent hive. Most of the beetles come out of the comb onto the top and I squish them with the hive tool. Probably not a good idea if your bees are easily riled up.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I use a piece of 1/4 inch screen in a wood frame that sits over a container of soapy water. When I see a frame with SHB's on it I smack the frame against the screen. Most of the bees bounce off the screen and fly away while the beetles fall through the screen into the soapy water and drown. Pretty simple and very effective.

I've done the same as JWPalmer but with a twist. Brush off the bees and tap the frame on a bucket of soapy water. SHB die and you can throw the water on the grass. I have SBB on my Redneck hybrid long hives and oil pans underneath... works WELL for me.