Is the middle of October too late to treat for mites in Upstate NY

Default Is the middle of October too late to treat for mites in Upstate NY

I caught a swarm exactly a month ago, they are doing well but
    I am wondering about treating them for mites. Especially since they did such a late swarm, maybe it was due to mites??

I ordered some Mann Lake DC-799 Apivar, but want to make sure I don't do more harm than good.

Thank you for your input

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Is the middle of October too late to treat for mites in Upstate NY

You can use Apivar year round with no supers on. (https://www.mannlakeltd.com/media/wy...ochure_USA.pdf)
    I'd check for mites to see if you need to use it though as unless you introduced some capped brood from another hive the brood break from the swarm probably means you have a low mite count, especially if your hive is not near any other failing ones.

For what it is worth, I am in upstate NY too, caught my last swarm 6 weeks ago, and gave them oav treatments only because I gave them some capped (and open) brood frames from strong hives.

Make sure you feed them!

Default Re: Is the middle of October too late to treat for mites in Upstate NY

A brood break doesn't reduce mite population much. I agree that there will some less mites as seen by daily drop however not a huge lowered mite population. Mites can live 6 months and more.

The brood break slows the mite population build up. However, also slows bee population build up as well.

I don't put much faith in brook breaks by themselves. A brook break along with an OAV when minimal capped brood or installing Apivar during the brood break is much more effective.
    Zone 3b. If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!