Difficulties with spinning honey

Default Difficulties with spinning honey

I'm having some difficulties with using this spinner extractor:

https://imgur.com/a/vNi6jtS

I'm using one of these to uncap the comb:

https://alexnld.com/wp-content/uploa...21bd534401.jpg

At first I was only uncapping lightly. Even after spinning for a good thirty minutes though there's still been a lot of honey left on the frames, so I experimented with being more aggressive with uncapping which seemed to help somewhat.

I've been unable to spin the frames at a speed greater than 70% max speed. I do start spinning at a slow speed and slowly build it up but the frames start to fling themselves out of the holder when I'm at around 50% max speed. The frames don't seem to sit in the spinner well. I'm not sure if I should see if I can find some extra large rubber bands to help them hold in place.

I do heat my frames prior to spinning to make it more efficient.

I'm a bit unsure if I'm doing something wrong. So far spinning my honeyframes has been very ineffective.

Can anyone help me out here?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Difficulties with spinning honey

There is no way in heck you should be spinning the frames for 30 minutes, it should all be over in a fraction of that.

Couple questions, is the honey granulated?

Is the honey jellybush?

Have you fully uncapped the cells, completely?

After that, the frame holder set up in that extractor doesn't look good at all. Is it complete? I'm thinking that if it won't hold the frames properly, then you can't wind up the speed, hence the honey won't come out. Most honey extractors are designed to be operated at maximum speed, 50% of that may not be enough.

Are your frames wax foundation or plastic foundation?
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

The honey isn't granulated.

It's not jellybush.

I'm unsure if they're fully uncapped, how can I tell?

It's complete. The frames still fall over somewhat, it doesn't seem to hold them in well.

Plastic foundation.

They are uncapped properly when the caps are totally cut off. It's generally done with a knife.

But based on your other answers, I think the problem is the extractor. It needs to be able to hold the frames in place properly so you can turn the speed right up.

Just one other thing, extractors have to be loaded up evenly, ie, they should not have more weight put on one side, than another. If there are light frames and heavy frames, balance them out a bit so they are evenly spread. If that isn't done the extractor will jump around, and it might be that causing the frames to jump loose.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Without trying to sound snide are you putting frames in this extractor with the top bars out or in toward the center? There are a few youtube videos in which the folks are demonstrating with the frames placed backwards.
    Top bars should be out, so the angle of the cell lets all the honey come out.
    As Old-timer said all cappings need to be open. Scratching will open the cells but also produces a lot of small wax pieces which slow straining. Sliding the scratcher tines just under the capping and lifting them off is just as fast and speeds up the straining.
    Is it a 20 frame or 12 frame unit?

Good to know about balancing the frames! I didn't check that.

I put the frames in so that the top of the frames are pointed to the outside of the extractor.

Might it be best to buy a hot knife? I did experiment with using a bread knife that had been placed in boiling water. I wasn't sure how to use it properly though, it seemed as if no matter how gentle I was I chopped off too much of the wax with it.

The extractor holds 8 large frames, or 20 manley frames.

My guess is that the extractor is fine and you just are not uncapping the cells properly. Don't worry about taking too much off. Try using a long serrated bread knife and use the frame as a guide as you slide it back and forth. Yes, you will have more wax but the honey will drain off in your uncapper tank. If you don't have one, get one. Will save you a ton of work. You will also have less wax in your extractor if you uncap properly which is really important. It takes me about 30 seconds per side with my hand crank extractor. J

This is a very odd looking extractor. They generally have baskets to hold the frames. Assuming that you have only just started to use it , it looks very messy.
    Were did you buy the equipment from? Can you ask them?
    We have been extracting Blue Gum honey - it is very thick but 3 min is more like it ( rather then 30 min)
    I use an electric knife at low heat and it does make uncapping easy. A Breadknofe does not have the thickness to hold the heat .
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

Earlier this year I had difficulty extracting some frames that were partially crystalized. We used a cappings scratcher like you are using to lift the cappings off. Problem was that the liquid honey spun out fine but left the crystals in the cells so the frames were still heavy. Figured it out as we were straining and the fine strainer was getting clogged with crystals. That we warmed and strained but there was nothing we could do with the hard stuff still in the comb. Ended up feeding a bunch of honey back to the bees.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

This is the extractor that I bought:

http://www.redpaths.com.au/products/...roductdtl=4788

Yeah I've spinned about 20 honey frames with it so far.

What would I ask them?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthAussieBeekeeper View Post
    This is the extractor that I bought:

http://www.redpaths.com.au/products/...roductdtl=4788

Yeah I've spinned about 20 honey frames with it so far.

What would I ask them?
    Redpath's are a well established company with an excellent reputation.
    Tell them wath your issues are with the extractor and they will sort it. It is quite possibly the type of honey which is coming in.
    Looking at the capping's in the photo I would guess that the frames had not been extracted for some time and are in part crystallised - as mentioned before. I'm not familiar with this unit but it looks solid.
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

Quote Originally Posted by SouthAussieBeekeeper View Post
    I'm having some difficulties with using this spinner extractor:

https://imgur.com/a/vNi6jtS
    I've been unable to spin the frames at a speed greater than 70% max speed. I do start spinning at a slow speed and slowly build it up but the frames start to fling themselves out of the holder when I'm at around 50% max speed. The frames don't seem to sit in the spinner well.....
    Can anyone help me out here?
    To see how the motor operates you could do a revolutions stability test using the identical but empty frames with your plastic foundations.
    All should be symmetrical and turning round without sharping sounds.
    More load would be better. Soak the wood frames with water for more weight. Those tests should be done under load condition to be expressive.

The reason for the uneven rotation could be for example the motor brushes or gears.

The only time I use a comb is for low cells. Use a bread knife. How cold are the frames.

Check the floor leveling.

That sounds like my experience this year. What is the moisture content of your honey? I got mine to 12 to 13% (not sure how) and it was taking over 30 minutes of spinning to get most of it out.

2018 honey moisture.jpg

For what its worth ... I harvested in July, 90F plus temps, honey probably heavy on privet nectar.
    Started with the bread knife, no problems, but i had a lot of honey in the cappings bin. Switch to scratching with a dinner fork, more wax left in frame, more honey from the extracion. Not really a problem straining with the cheap-o nylon screens we scraped the every time we reloaded the extractor.
    Slicing caps off or scratching with fork i could tell no difference. Seemed like the extracted combs were pretty wet, but i gave them back to the bees any way.
    Good luck ... ce
    Last edited by tech.35058; 10-18-2018 at 02:06 PM.
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.