Do I really need to medicate? - Page 5
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Default Re: Do I really need to medicate?

Quote Originally Posted by SiWolKe View Post
    Why do you say that? Because you tried once and failed?
    No it's not that.

Firstly, My "tried once" was a 2 year trial using many beehives, small cell treatment free wax foundation, queens showing resistance that I brought in from all over NZ, and much more. I probably did more, with more bees, in that 2 years, than you have ever done the whole time you have had bees SiWolKe. To say I "tried once", belittles the extensive work I did, and is borderline dishonest.

But, that's not all. I am also drawing on the experience of the many other people who have tried, Mischief included. None of them have been successful, it doesn't work over here. There are reasons for this but I'm not writing 2 pages explaining it all, it has been said before and I'm pretty sure you have read it.

Let him make his own experience.
    Of course, and she IS making her own experience. Her experience so far is that her bees have to be treated. Her hive has treatment in it right now, to try to save it from death. It was neglected and very sick, but if this treatment was not too late and the hive survives, it will have to be treated again in the future as well. Mischief will learn that, but it takes time. None of that is my fault so no need to take shots at me. It's just the facts.

There are not many people more convinced and trying harder than Mischief, and she failed. That's how it is.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

This is not Germany, or Nebraska,
    Tears run down my face to this comparison.
    Thanks OT, you made my evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    No it's not that. Firstly, My "tried once" was a 2 year trial using many beehives, small cell treatment free wax foundation, queens showing resistance that I brought in from all over NZ, and much more. I probably did more, with more bees, in that 2 years, than you have ever done the whole time you have had bees SiWolKe. To say I "tried once", does not do justice to what I did, and is borferline dishonest.

But, that's not all. I am also drawing on the experience of the many other people who have tried. None of them have been or are successful, it doesn't work over here. There are reasons for this but I'm not writting 2 pages explaining it all, it has been said before and I'm pretty sure you have read it.

Of course, and she IS making her own experience. Her experience so far is that her bees have to be treated. Her hive has treatment in it right now, to try to save it from death. It was neglected and very sick, but if this treatment was not too late and the hive survives, it will have to be treated again in the future. None of that is my fault so no need to take shots at me. It's just the facts.
    OT, I canīt understand why people like you, having such experience, donīt try soft bond parallel to treated hives.

Yes SHE had to treat, which shows SHE cares. Still SHE is interested, which shows SHE knows. I hope I will have co-workers like HER some time in future.
    The co-worker I had given my "resistant" queenīs daughters splits for free did not care and he let them die of starvation.

OT, I canīt understand why people like you, having such experience, donīt try soft bond parallel to treated hives.
    Is your problem that you just want to divide everyone into good and bad, I am bad, so you make judgements about me?

Reality is I have been doing soft bond for years, and still am now. But it's a much bigger story than just that, but as I said I'm not wasting my time explaining it all here. Cos end of day, people believe what they want to believe, regardless of the reality. What people on the internet think does not affect me, or what I'm doing. I sometimes offer advice out of kindness. I have stopped caring if people thank me for it, or get angry. That's not my problem, it's theirs.

Hey Oldtimer. How ya been. What you said is one reason I stopped Posting.
    Mark Berninghausen

Missed you dude.

I put up with these closed minded people, because end of day, the world is full of them. They make their own mistakes, and they suffer the costs, not me.

You should get back here Sqkcrk, I used to enjoy your down to earth posts.

Missed you dude.

I put up with these closed minded people, because end of day, the world is full of them. They make their own mistakes, and they suffer the costs, not me.

There are reasons why you can't. The situation your bees are in is different to the others you refer to who are treatment free. They run multiple hives plus are surrounded by similar bees, and are in locations that give a suitable environment.

With your one hive, surrounded by hives that have to be medicated, you are not able to breed a bee that will survive treatment free. You will medicate again, and regularly, or, you will lose your bees.
    I'd say that's a very fair and realistic summary of the situation which faces any wannabee TF beekeeper, unless they happen to live in an isolated area and have LOTS of colonies with which to start off with (to accommodate the inevitable losses).

At the risk of stating the obvious - beekeeping is quite unlike any other form of animal husbandry, in that the actions of neighbours will always directly impinge upon the health, welfare and genetics of your own livestock - that is, unless you happen to live in an isolated area.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Is your problem that you just want to divide everyone into good and bad, I am bad, so you make judgements about me?

Reality is I have been doing soft bond for years, and still am now. But it's a much bigger story than just that, but as I said I'm not wasting my time explaining it all here. Cos end of day, people believe what they want to believe, regardless of the reality. What people on the internet think does not affect me, or what I'm doing. I sometimes offer advice out of kindness. I have stopped caring if people thank me for it, or get angry. That's not my problem, it's theirs.
    Iīm not making judgements about you or if I do itīs just an answer to your judgements about me or others. I respected you no matter tf or not. You know that.
    Soft bond? Thatīs new to me. I thought you tried the Dee Lusby way but failed and had no good words left of that time. But I did not read all your posts. The recent ones are not very inspiring, they rather mirror an autocratic view.
    Itīs sad that good mentors like you give up so easiy and feel offended by different opinions.

Well, that said, the continents and nations seem to drift apart just like people seem to drift apart and living in their own echo chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    I'd say that's a very fair and realistic summary of the situation which faces any wannabee TF beekeeper, unless they happen to live in an isolated area and have LOTS of colonies with which to start off with (to accommodate the inevitable losses).

At the risk of stating the obvious - beekeeping is quite unlike any other form of animal husbandry, in that the actions of neighbours will always directly impinge upon the health, welfare and genetics of your own livestock - that is, unless you happen to live in an isolated area.
    LJ
    No.
    I donīt agree. Nobody tried and those who tried and have success are not present on BS.

No.
    I donīt agree. Nobody tried and those who tried and have success are not present on BS.
    Oh god, I forgot squarepeg who is the most important example to me. He is present on BS.

Itīs sad that good mentors like you give up so easiy and feel offended by different opinions.
    Rubbish.

Rubbish.
    Do you mean you donīt feel a good mentor or if it comes to tf beekeeping? Probably if it comes to non commercial tf beekeeping ( SP an exception perhaps) Youīre not the only one who does not care about tf hobbyists. Juhani for one is also.

No, none of that.

It was calling a judgemental statement for what it is.

Oldtimer you must have the patience of Job
    Johno

Missed you dude.

I lost interest. My head is only so hard. lol
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post

I lost interest. My head is only so hard. lol
    My head is only so hard also. I still feel for the newbees trying to sift through so much conflicting info.

The timeline, symptoms and signs of my decision to not treat were just as described by OT, sqkcrk and others. I didn't want it to be true, but there they were, mites, lots of mites in the Drone brood. One dying hive and two sick ones. That was back in 2015. Your efforts don't always fall on deaf ears. To paraphrase what President Reagan once said, "Listen, but verify."

I am hard headed and stubborn, but not so delusional that I refuse to believe my own eyes or to discount what others stated, especially when it aligns perfectly with what I was seeing.

I applaud the efforts of the people who are trying to breed TF stock and I hope they are successful enough to one day sell breeder Queens whose progeny can thrive outside the area from where they were raised. What price would someone pay for such a creature? How much more would someone pay if she came with a guarantee?

Buyer beware when purchasing TF stock. I have noticed a lot of questionable marketing of TF Queens. The Queen rearing portion of the operations can be referred to as TF, but the honey producing part of the operation are treated colonies. There are a lot of gray areas and blurred lines for an unscrupulous person to exploit. Ask many detailed questions and keep your money if your questions make them mad.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

I was talking right now on the phone with a friend who bred from my Elgon F1 (2 winters survived).
    He was on a speaking by Paul Jungels.
    Mr. Jungels was very optimistic about the future and wants that now all beekeepers, amateur beekeepers and professional beekeepers get access to resistant bees without having to buy expensive queens.
    This should be possible through associations that offer mating places and artificial inseminations that cost nothing to the members.
    Mr. Jungels has developed several lines of queens that show 100% VSH behavior and yet meet the needs of beekeepers, bringing honey and gentleness.
    I think this is a possibility for us, my colleague has also met a new friend, who also has several lines of Elgon and both persons are accessible to me by car. The association there has a mating place and the treatment-free beekeeping there is funded by state.
    I asked to be invited to the next meeting.

http://www.apisjungels.lu/varroa-res...pipedream.html

All the best with it SiWolKe, hope it works out.

Just like BartJan Fernhaut, Paul Jungels has several lines already showing 100% VSH.
    http://perso.unamur.be/~jvandyck/hom...d_PJ_2017.html

Roll the page all the way down, there are 3 breeders (used for drones 2017), in the column on the right there is VSH%.
    (By change the best 3 have some my bees as ancestors. , you see the pedigree as a tree when you click the "etc" )

Copy from another thread:
    " https://aristabeeresearch.org/

The second video has has subtitles in English and it is about BartJan Fernhauts work in Hawaii and presenting Baton Rouge and Marken Group in Holland as well.

In the latest Buckfast Breeders Magazine (3/2018) there is a story by Sascha and Ulrich Müller of a VSH meeting where BartJan Fernhaut has been teaching. He told that they have in Hawaii ( 4 fulltime beekeepers helping him) queens which produce 100% VSH offspring. ( "100% VSH Verhalten erbstabil nachzuziehen") They are not Buckfast, more like Italian."

The question still to be answered is whether these 100% VSH breeders offspring can stand mite pressure when their daughter queens are sold all over Europe.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast