Queens

Thread: Queens

Default Queens

Has anyone tried the pure VSH queens from Ridgetop Apiaries? I was thinking about making some splits in 2019 and using them in one box and trying another with a Minnesota Hygenic Queen. I know they are not a cure all for pests but I figure every little bit helps.
    Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Queens

Ridgetop has excellent queens but good luck ordering any he's always booked up.

I have used them for a couple of years. Very satisfied with the queens and the customer service I received.
    Working to propagate my survivors and staying treatment free USDA Zone 7b

"Pure" in what way?
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by Riskybizz View Post
    "Pure" in what way?
    The following is from their website. As I said I don't expect these queens to allow anyone to forgo treating their hives but to be another tool in the fight angainst the bee's enimies.
    PURE VSH ~
    The development of the VSH line of bees by the team of scientists at the USDA Bee Breeding Lab in Baton Rouge, is a true scientific success story. Through careful observation and experimentation, they painstakingly came to understand the natural defenses that the bees had hidden away in their genome. Selection for these beneficial genetic traits over many bee generations has resulted in not only resistance to Varroa mites, but also to American Foulbrood and Chalkbrood. The hygienic behavior of VSH bees, even extends to defense against wax moths and small hive beetles

I keep bees in Louisiana. Our queens are daughters of that line. Good bees. Pure? Haha. Not a chance. Marla Spivaks MH Queens are great also. Pure? Unless the Lab has started selling their queens that are artificially inseminated by their own drones. I haven't heard that. I'll be at their Field Day on the 27th and I'll ask. She gave many MH queens to some commercial keepers and now most all queens that are Italians in Louisiana are one of those or a strain of both. They defend against wax moth and SHB if they are strong colonies just like any other type of strong colony. But the word "purebred" doesn't fit. VSH is a trait that any breed of bee can have.
    All of that being said I'm sure Ridgetop has good queens. Their price is more than fair. They are running top genetics. Don't see how you could go wrong buying a queen from them.