Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

First mead Joe's Ancient Orange

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  SuiGeneris 
#1 ·
I started a gallon last December in a Vintner's pail (see post from that time) and at 2 month's I syphoned it into a carboy and put a screw top on, not a cork. At that transfer, the hydrometer read that it was "wine". I tasted it, got a little lightheaded for a couple minutes. It didn't taste terrible. I am not a wine drinker...I am attempting this for a friend.

So, I am pretty sure the screw on for carboy was not a good idea but too late now.

It has been in a dark cabinet since then, never opened. I see sediment on the bottom. Can I syphon clear liquid one more time to wine bottles and cork, or is this too much oxygen introduction?

My original plan was to give the wine attempt to my friend for her birthday later this month. Thanks for any help.
Bevy

#2 ·
Siphon away - you'll get a bit of oxygen, but it should be OK.

If you're really worried (and your friend is OK with sulfites) you can add a 1/4 teaspoon of potassium (or sdoium) metabisulfate to the bottling bucket and then siphon the mead onto that. The metabisulate will scavenge the oxygen and give the mead a longer shelf life.

#5 ·
SuiG....
Thanks, I have a quart of my first going just to see what it is like. Not quite a month in and not made with hydrometers or honestly even a vapor lock (just a lid with weight on it). Used bread yeast. It is clearing up and taste like rubbing alcohol or something but not really wine. I just did it to see what a rushed batch (say deer season) might taste like. So you can see that I am not too serious about it yet. I just have never tasted mead and so even a bad batch will be more then I have had so far.

I have been watching your other post on this subject and so thought this would be a perfect place for me to ask this question.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.
Cheers
gww

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.