One box enough

Thread: One box enough

Default One box enough

Went threw my 3 hives this week hear in South Arkansas. Golden rod is starting to bloom and looks to be a good one. All 3 hives have a full top box of capped honey and a couple in the second box. Sugar shakes one hive with one dead mite. Went to the second hive and barely made honey check. This hive I can work spring and summer in shirts and no shirt but come fall would swear Africanized. Daughter of last years queen and just like her mom. 20 bees on your glove and pouring the smoke on them while 50 are slamming your vial. Third hive are good girls like the first, Koehnen Carni queens, with full box of capped. Those in my latitude, how much capped honey do you normally leave for the Winter?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: One box enough

I go into winter with all the food a deep hive body will hold. I then plan to feed around the end of February or the first of March.
    42 + years - 24 colonies - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

Got to remember these are Warre boxes not Lang. Two of the hives I made and are Warre size across, one foot by one foot but are Lang deep so I didnt have to cut frame sides pluse waste cedar lumber. The modified hives have about the same cub inches as a lang medium. The true Warre I figure about a honey supper. So even down hear your bees are going threw a whole deep over the Winter? I was my under the impression beeks up north went into Winter with 2 deeps using Langs. 1 brood 1 stores.