Tropic Trailers 5th wheel Bobcats

Default Tropic Trailers 5th wheel Bobcats

Anyone with Tropic Trailer 5th wheel Bobcat experience? Pros or cons? They look really agile.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Tropic Trailers 5th wheel Bobcats

As long as you are working on hard packed ground they make the skidsteer very agile.

If you use it in soft dirt/sand then it will rut it up even worse than without using one.

We keep one of our dozen bobcats with a 5th wheel. It's around the shop where everything is paved or concrete and is definitely a tire saver there.

They add about 500lb(just a guess) to the machine so if you travel a lot that has to be taken into consideration.

So yes sometimes they are great, sometimes not, all situational.

We deemed them not needed on most machines because of travel, and most of the time we are not on hard packed ground when moving the bees for pollination. However as stated i do keep that one where we are on hard packed ground a lot.

Aaron

Thank you Aaron. I guess you like Bobcats over Hummer Bees since you have a dozen of them. Is this the case?

We do prefer the bobcat, much more versatile machine. And overall smaller which is huge when you are towing it 100,000+ miles a year. The swinger does have a higher top end speed so if you do more of your bee moving with the loader instead of the truck that would change things a bit.

A lot of swinger operators will tell you that the tires don't damage the ground like a skid steer does, but that is only true if your skid steer driver isn't adept at its use. Also most of the farmers i deal with don't care if we do rut up the ground a little during loading/unloading. It's not like we do it in people's front yards.

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by AstroZomBEE View Post
    We do prefer the bobcat, much more versatile machine. And overall smaller which is huge when you are towing it 100,000+ miles a year. The swinger does have a higher top end speed so if you do more of your bee moving with the loader instead of the truck that would change things a bit.

A lot of swinger operators will tell you that the tires don't damage the ground like a skid steer does, but that is only true if your skid steer driver isn't adept at its use. Also most of the farmers i deal with don't care if we do rut up the ground a little during loading/unloading. It's not like we do it in people's front yards.

Aaron
    Thank you for the info.

I have 4 bobcat with 5th wheels. They are 610's and wouldn't really function that well without the 5th wheel. I am currently purchasing a bobcat with mast/5th wheel from tropic . It will be my first one from them.