What to except. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to except.

I am taken it in stride. This beekeeper lives super close to me and I can get a nuc and install the nuc all in under a hr. I fear getting a package and not being home when it arrives. Also I have always wanted to try a nuc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I have to assume until other wise given reason not to that what he is telling me is correct. I know he inseminates queens but he has alrdy told me nucs do not have that.

Default Re: What to except.

This late in the year, I would perform an alcohol wash as described by Randy Oliver in http://www.scientificbeekeeping.com/...oa-mite-washer

Read his other articles regarding mite loads vs. treatments.

I do not have them yet. I will hopefully be getting them in march

. He does artificial insemination for queens but his NUCs will not have them.

To determine the level of the VSH trait you are getting with your queens ask your queen breeder what he does to try to saturate drone congregation areas near his queen breeder yard with drones that also carry the VSH trait. Years ago a queen breeder in this area who raised Carniolan queens provided free Carniolan queens to all the beekeepers within about fifteen miles of his queen mating yard. With the dirth of feral colonies nowadays this would seem to bee the best way to try to insure the mating results desired for your queens. Mike in LA.

Quote Originally Posted by Hops Brewster View Post
    Most honey bees in the US are hybrids or mutts. What we call Carniolans or Italians are merely a line of bees with the general traits of those varieties, such as color, temperament or productivity, but are not pure bred. You can expect them to act about like any honey bee, I guess.

What to specifically expect from that line of bees, only that beekeeper or others that own them from that line will be able to tell you.
    totally accurate, within a so called race there can be a lot of variation. breeders have been known to exaggerate a lot. buyer beware.

Everyone selling queens who does not have a pure line, says their bees are hybrid.

Odds are your bees will be bitsa's. IE, bitsa this, bitsa that, from a guy who has at various times had VSH bees, Carniolan Bees, Italians, and likely a bunch of others. These have now melded into a range of types and colors, so he has word crafted this to sound like a positive by calling them hybrids.

They will probably be like any other average mutt from the area.

Even using II, unless there is a very strong breeding and selection program in place, it is near impossible to keep a pure line.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

+1

I know for II he gets queens from VHS breeders. Him and another guy got grafts few days ago.

Year before last I bought a few hybrid queens from lappes bee supply. They were advertised as Italian/carniolan hybrids. I wondered how this came about and questioned the seller. She informed me that I was buying Italian queens mated with predominately carniolan drones.

When those hives got up to speed the description was easier to visualize. The worker bees in those hives had the darker and I assume... Carniolan look but the drones produced from the unfertilized eggs stuck out like big orange thumbs. It was quite a difference when compared side by side.

When I opened those hives and saw all those amber colored drones running around it all made sense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12