Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Urgent advice needed-trees leafing out for a second time after Florence

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  enjambres 
#1 ·
I live almost dead center of where the eye of florence made landfall. It's been VERY rough on a lot of folks God bless them. Personality my home and family had no damage to speak of. I ended up breaking my leg (fibula-minor) but I'm not complaining at all. Compared to the many close by with houses that are not salvageable I'm 100% fine with my situation.
The question I have is about the trees in the area that lost their leaves, either due to wind or salt spray/root exposure,and are now leafing out a second time. I noticed yesterday that the Bradford pear trees are all blooming again with their white flowers. I know these are not nectar producing plants but noticing this made look at other trees. I'm now noticing that most, if not all, of the tulip poplar trees are beginning to leaf out big time. This makes me ask if they will flower again as well? What an awesome treat that would be! Tulip poplar is perhaps our main honey producing plant locally and it makes exceptional honey as most people know. Anyone have any insight on this phenomenon?
I'd also like to ask a moderator if this thread could be placed in more than one subforum?
Many thanks,
Howard in Hampstead NC

#3 ·
Don't worry because a) you can't do anything about it anyway and b) most woody plants have extra, dormant, leaf and flower buds that will replace the ones that are pushed out now and which will succumb to winter cold in a few months.

The extra buds are usually suppressed by the more mature ones, but they will break next spring. It's kind of like the way open brood pheromones keep laying workers suppressed.

On smaller cultivated plants there might some things you could do with pruning to counteract or overcome this, but in general just things happen and focus on the other, human stuff that will need doing in your community.

I'm sure a lot of beekeepers in your state have lost their bees. I have thought about them a lot.

Glad you and your family were spared, and I hope your leg heals swiftly.

Nancy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.