Leave Robber Screen On?

Default Leave Robber Screen On?

I put robber screens on my hives in August. Can I leave them on through Fall to keep mice out before winterizing and putting mouseguards on? Worried the robber screens will not allow the bees to clean out the dead.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Leave Robber Screen On?

I have the same question.
    Meghan

I leave mine on like you describe and have never had any problems.

the bees can carry the dead ones out the screen if they really want to, I've seen them do it.

I am thinking of putting a screw on all of the gates of my robber screens so the gates can only be opened about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch to keep mice out. I am thinking that a mouse would be able to push a gate opened far enough to squeeze in if they tried.

All of my robber screens are mann lake style with gates that can be opened or closed over all of the openings.

I have seen bees carrying out the dead and the trash. With top or middle entrances they still keep the hive clean.

Once my robber screens go on, they stay on until I pack up for winter. Occasionally I'll remove them and sweep out any accumulation behind them. But as I am usually running OAV series during this period that would happen anyway to keep the wand clear.

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by Molloyjp View Post
    I put robber screens on my hives in August. Can I leave them on through Fall to keep mice out before winterizing and putting mouseguards on? Worried the robber screens will not allow the bees to clean out the dead.
    I leave my robber screens on year round. During the winter I will occasionally open one door for a day for the bees to clean out the hive if the weather is warm enough. If it isn't warm enough for them to come out, I will just open the doors and use a small stick to clean out anything that is piled up behind the doors and then close them back.

I leave them on year around as well. After a horrible round in two of my hives last year I don't want a repeat. Mine are home made about 6 inches tall and a 2 inch opening on the top. Just yesterday evening I was aggravating my girls tossing a just removed dead drone back in the hive and watching them work as a team to drag him back out!👹

I have only outyards and Iīm not visiting every day.

My robber screens are homemade and I use them all year with entrance 10cm.

This year I placed the opening to the sides, two reasons: cleaning out when itīs very cold, fast traffic to escape predators. It works beautifully.

When temps fall I will install a mouse guard and take away the screens. But the risk is robbing of a weak hive in early spring, the only robbing I had so far was in february.

Sometimes the bees start foraging in january in my climate. They go for pollen, but there is no fresh nectar. This could mean they rob a weak colony, but I have only one colony left which is declined to rob, maybe itīs the genetics.

I never had a starving hive in spring from no stores.

BY 2018.jpg