Oxalic acid/ xentsri combo

Question Oxalic acid/ xentsri combo

Yesterday i applied oav as part of a mite treatment.
    Today i redistributed resources from a presumed deadout-robbing victim to other hives in need.
    As _most_ of my colonies are post harvest splits & probably have more comb than rhey can defend, i sprayed everything i touched with Xentari.
    It dawned on me that one might combine liquid OA & Xentari for a 2 in 1 treatment.
    Has any one tried this, or have any solid info ?
    (Putting Xentari in acid & expect it to work? Must be nuts!)

??? CE
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Oxalic acid/ xentsri combo

Bt a - Xentari or Bt k - Dipel et al is a bacteria that must be eaten by the catapiller so it needs to be sprayed or dusted on the comb. Putting it on the bees is not an efficient way of doing that. Besides being an off label use.
    When Xentari was labeled for use it was for comb storage not in the hive.
    If you are talking about spraying for storage and expecting to get mite kill when you put the combs back in the bees would clean it out pretty quickly and the dried crystals would be larger than what are produced by vaporization so possible contact with mites would be minimal.
    Last edited by John Davis; 09-30-2018 at 12:00 PM.

I was not aware Xentari (bt) was "approved" for any apiary use, accepted that from the start. Some one else mentioned thst they had applied bt "(over a few bees)" w/ no ill affects, thats what i was doing also. It occured to me thst if the two materials were compatablele this would be any effective way to apply oa "dribble" at the same time.
    (OA also "off label" until a couple of years ago)
    Thank for your precise & informative response. CE

I would not recommend it. I used BT to treat frames and comb in storage but would not use it in an active hive. If the hive is over run with wax moths, you have other issues that need to be dealt with first. A strong healthy hive deals with wax moths just fine. On top of that, the acidity of the OA might kill the BT and make it ineffective.

Quote Originally Posted by dudelt View Post
    I would not recommend it. I used BT to treat frames and comb in storage but would not use it in an active hive. If the hive is over run with wax moths, you have other issues that need to be dealt with first. A strong healthy hive deals with wax moths just fine. On top of that, the acidity of the OA might kill the BT and make it ineffective.
    As i mentioned in my original post, these are post harvest splits with a little.more comb tban they can really cover well. I have no freezer space for these combs ,so storage over these hives (they are filling them with winter stores & raising brood) seems to me the least offensive choice.
    And as i also alluded to to in the original post, the two materials might logically be incompatable.
    But ... if some one has already performed this experiment & is willing to share their results ...
    Thanks for the resposes, CE
    Last edited by tech.35058; 10-01-2018 at 02:20 PM.
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.