bee race flying in colder weather

Default bee race flying in colder weather

Which bee race will fly during colder weather?

My carniolans will begin flying early in the morning but Italians wait all the way until about noon until it warms up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: bee race flying in colder weather

My only experience is with Russians and Italians. The Russians will fly at much colder temps.
    Neill
    Herbhome Farm USDA zone 7a

55 F in Chicago area. Saskatraz and Carniolan mutts fly and bring pollen, Italians do not leave the hives.

I think sometimes you can have two hives that are very similar bees, but due to some circumstance have different amounts of brood to cover. One where the queen has been on a laying binge will keep the bees in for brood nest temperature control till later in the day. A few weeks later could see the other colony being a bit later getting going.

I have gone into hives where I saw one apparently showing less activity and that seemed all that I could account for as the cause. I am seeing it now where I am as the nights are getting down around 40F and the hives are in various stages of producing winter bees.

Thoughts anyone.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    I think sometimes you can have two hives that are very similar bees, but due to some circumstance have different amounts of brood to cover. One where the queen has been on a laying binge will keep the bees in for brood nest temperature control till later in the day. A few weeks later could see the other colony being a bit later getting going.
    good observation frank, i've noticed similar here.

my local mutt strain will venture out in the low 50's on sunny days with light winds.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I have all races plus mutts: I've seen them fly in the upper 30's and 40's if the sun is directly on the hive.

Mine are all mutts from swarms that arrived here on their own (and all from just four queen lines). They will fly in the low-mid 50s, if they have a reason to. Never mind what the books say. The key is no wind. My bees live smack up against a very tall evergreen shelter belt so they have plenty protection from the NW winds. They face due south.

The pesky yellow jackets will fly in colder weather than that, which is why they can slip inside during the cool mornings right now when my bees are still all snuggled up.

Sometimes I wish they'd stay inside more, especially after a deep snow when they will drown in the powder. I plow a large area in front of my stand to protect them. This winter I am going to experiment with little dishes of water inside the hives to see if they will stay put more. (I will have a light set-up inside the feeding rim so I can watch from outside without opening the stacks.)

But when a girl's gotta go, a girl's gotta go. Being an old gal myself, I can understand this.

Nancy

My bees are mutts with annual infusions of mite biters. The carniolan is still present but my bees get more yellow every season. Flying temperatures varies wildly. I think Crofters explanation of brood covering requirements is very valid. I have two locations out in the wind and one very protected. The protected ones very definitely fly more in cooler weather. This time of year, they all seem to go pollen foraging in the forties if its sunny. In the spring when restless and questing for pollen and feed, they all fly in the mid forties if not to windy and with the sun shining. The answer in all beekeeping endeavors seems to be "it depends"

I have Italians and I have seen them flying at about 45. I also saw drones on Thanksgiving last year so my bees might just be special . . . .