Building brew kettle from water heater tank

Default Building brew kettle from water heater tank

I've been looking for a large brew kettle for making sugar syrup in but having difficulty finding one for a decent price. Thought of possibility of using the tank out of an old water heater. Has anyone here tried such a project? What were the results? Thanks. -James

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Building brew kettle from water heater tank

I have not tried this, but some information to possibly help with your decision

Have you looked at canning pots and turkey pots. Both of these are usually fairly big pots that are not to expensive.

Most water heater tanks (atleast newer ones) are glass lined to keep the corrosion down and protect the tank. Cutting the tank in half may be nasty (glass dust) and create other problems (like the tank rusting). Depending on the condition of the tank you start with it may also have a lot of mineral build up.

Consider using catering tea/coffee urns - they're made from stainless and come in various sizes, and aren't all that expensive. Ready-made and should last a lifetime ...
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

i'm using a turkey cooker now. Not big enough of a batch to suit me and bailing out the syrup is a pain. The brew kettles are larger than the turkey cookers and have a valve for decanting the syrup quickly so that I could start the next batch.

You could use a food grade drum, and drum heater. Drums are available in 15, 30, and 55 gal sizes for less than $80. There are also standardized drum pumps and drum mixers available.

Has anyone heard of a circulon coated non stick cook pot I just dug one out of the attic , it would make a great small batch brew pot , do you guys think this material would be ok .

Quote Originally Posted by laketrout View Post
    Has anyone heard of a circulon coated non stick cook pot I just dug one out of the attic , it would make a great small batch brew pot , do you guys think this material would be ok .
    As long as you dont run it dry it should work. It probably uses a teflon coating.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiebooks View Post
    i'm using a turkey cooker now. Not big enough of a batch to suit me and bailing out the syrup is a pain. The brew kettles are larger than the turkey cookers and have a valve for decanting the syrup quickly so that I could start the next batch.
    Here's my system. I plumbed hot water into my outdoor hose bib. So heating up water is not an issue. Also awesome for cleaning up stuff with wax. I spent about 100 bucks on a trash pump from hf and some piping and made a mixing contraption. no more transporting syrup. i mix right on the truck and dispense at the yards. For 1-1 i don't even need hot water. Big foodsafe pots are expensive.
    Terrence