What are your hobbies?

Default What are your hobbies?

I have been interested in flying model airplanes since I was about 12 years old and have been at it off and on all these years. After having been away from it for about 20 years, I returned to find out I was like Rip Van Winkle waking up and so many things have changed. New computerized radio systems, lithium ion batteries, rare earth magnet electric motors makes it a whole new experience.

Reflexes and eyesight now is making it harder for me to keep track of smaller models so I am in the process of making one big, slow, and easy to see. This one should fit the bill! The wings are hot wire cut from styrofoam sheet as are most parts of the airframe. This will be my winter project!

It is never too late to have a happy childhood!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Frank

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What are your hobbies?

Hey Frank, I've been and R/C flier in my past life too. Got into the small stuff (50-60" wingspan) with glow plug 2 cycles (.45-.65 cc). As I got older & the eyesight got worse (and relexes too) I switch to bigger stuff. 80" & up with Quadra 42's & Zenoa G62's gas burners.

I still have 4 or 5 hanging in my shed, but haven't actually flown for 3-4 years. I don't trust the old Nicad batteries or the old radios anymore. I still have a bunch of 18-22" props laying around somewhere.

I think it's like riding a bike....once you done it, you can always do it......just fly higher most of the time.

Is that wing for a high wing or low wing design?

I built a hobbistar 60 a couple years ago , fun build !!! was flying a cheap electric to learn before flying the big plane but never got together with someone that could hook up to my controls and get me started . Guess I have to much going on with work and the bees and fishing but looking forward to flying when I retire .

It is for a high wing design which will be a morph of the Telemaster and Kadet SR. Flaps and Ailerons. Flying weight should be a bit over 8 lbs estimate. I am thinking of equipping with a camera for some aerial photography if it flys OK.
    Frank

One of my first planes was a Kadet SR.....which crashed on my first flight (I forgot to pull the antenna up and it flew out of range).

I taught myself to fly, the hard way..... I used to keep all my broken props, but it got to be too many to deal with. I flew a Duraplane that lived up to it's name until I got better at it. I don't know how many times it was re-built.

I've flown lots of different planes from a fifth scale Spitfire to a quarter scale Clipped Wing Cub.....they were all fun. Most fun plane was an Ultra-Hots (big one) with a Quadra 42 that could climb straight up as far as I could see it. But, as you probably know, they get hard to fly if you can't see them.

I really enjoyed the sport, but bees have taken over my life for the last few years.

A flight simulator is a great way to imprint the instinctive eye hand co ordination; You dont have time to think out the visual situation, assess it and translate it to your hands. Kids used to joystick gaming are tons easier to teach to fly than an adult from the stone age like many of us.

There are many models now that are using a self leveling receiver with gyro stabilizer. For about $30 US you can buy one of them in an aftermarket receiver that you can retrofit into an existing model. They sure get a new pilot on his own a lot quicker.

It sure is a rush! I can remember shaking so bad I could hardly hang onto the transmitter and begging the instructor to take back control.

Not pulling up the transmitter antenna sure is on the list of things a person can do wrong. I have a whole bunch of them checked off! Twice now I have lost sight of the model; one of them was never found; alien intervention is my explanation for that.
    Frank

I lost one too once upon a time. Last time I saw it, it was cruising away nice & steady with a full tank of fuel....never to be seen by me again.

The last thing I flew (tried to fly) was an early drone. None of the auto takeoff & return modes like the new drones. I thought if I could manage a hover, I'd be good to go. WRONG! Once in the air at any distance I couldn't tell front from rear, left vs right.....I was almost struggling with top vs bottom.

Need less to say I never became a drone pilot. I am considering a programable drone of some sort as long as it's cheap, but I'm not that senile yet. Maybe on of those little indoor ultra-light electrics would be my bag now, huh?

I couldn't make any progress at all with a drone about 3 years ago but there has been a huge leap in the technology since then. I got one this past christmas that has the same protocol as my fixed wing transmitter and found that when I programmed in greatly reduced rates and high exponential the flying was really dumbed down to the point of being able to make progress rather than an exercise in futility.

With a bit of practice the drone starts to respond much like a fixed wing craft. In a way, faster becomes easier like comparing riding a bike at half walking speed compared to going faster.

I have a bunch of things to get done before the snow flies so have shelved building and flying for a while. The club does fly in a school gymnasium in the winter time. Those little feather weight slow flyers are a hoot.

Here is a link to some flying, indoors and out by my mentor. He is somwhere north of 70 years old too. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...t_zb50eUOZozhQ
    Frank