Johno's Easy Vap - Vaporizer - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: Johno's Easy Vap - Vaporizer

101 first, I use oxalic acid from Florida laboratories which is 99.6% pure. You could also use Savogram wood bleach from a hardware store.
    2) the standard dose is 1 gram per deep box, which would mean 2 grams for 2 deeps or 3 mediums. You could double that dose without any adverse effects on your bees. 2 grams= 1/2 teaspoon
    3) some prefer to make the hole in the back rim of the bottom board, However I prefer to make the hole higher and on a 3 box hive I make the hole in the second box in the center of the frame rest as close to the edge as you can get it so that the vapor comes out between the upper and lower frames. Just see which way suits you best.
    4) Once my honey comes off by late June I will do 5 treatments 5 days apart which will take 20 days, I will do this again in Mid August and then do single treatments in November and again in December and thats it until June next year. Mite checks on random hives by the State inspector yielded 0 mites on my apiary inspection on May 14 th 2019 so I treat each hive 12 times a year.
    5) I treat all my hives (40 odd) on the same day, that is 3 yards and the treatment takes about a minute a hive. I hope this helps .

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

John I sent you an email would like to purchase one of these for sure..

Jman999 If you got a reply from me that will be fine, if no reply then I have not received your email. There is an underscore between john and olivier and also note the second i in olivier.
    Johno

Is there an optimum outside temperature for using the vaporizer, or does it not matter?

Conventional wisdom has it as not to treat below 40 degrees F, so anywhere above is fine with exceptions of course, it would not be good to treat at 100 degrees with most of the bees hanging out the front door. So if you need to treat in the dog days of summer do it early in the morning.

A couple of questions for this thread.

1. Is there any general consensus on whether to treat with foundation being drawn in honey supers? If the foundation gets OA vape, will that later contaminate the honey?

I have hives that are in the process of building comb from foundation. I'd wait until a dearth, but by that point the mite count could be very high, and I'd prefer to treat prophetically before mite counts get too high.

2. What about treating newly swarmed colonies, or colonies that have been broodless due to a swarm ?

Once you treat your hive with OAV the bees will remove any crystals within the hive in a matter of days, so if there are any crystals on any comb the bees will remove it. You can treat any broodless colony without any problems provided it is not a package or freshly hived swarm, in those cases it is better until the queen is laying and some larvae have emerged.

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Once you treat your hive with OAV the bees will remove any crystals within the hive in a matter of days, so if there are any crystals on any comb the bees will remove it. You can treat any broodless colony without any problems provided it is not a package or freshly hived swarm, in those cases it is better until the queen is laying and some larvae have emerged.
    What about honey frames that haven't been capped, can I take those out during treatment and put them back in 20 days later to have them capped?

If the honey is not for human consumption you can leave it on, otherwise the EPA states that hives may not be treated with honey supers that are for human consumption. So if you need to treat with any supers on you have to remove them or isolate them with a board or even newspaper. This is true for all mite treatments with the exception of formic acid.

Is there a PDF of the instructions anywhere?

I cannot give you a link but if you email me I will send you a copy of the instruction sheet. [email protected].
    that is john underscore olivier.

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    What about honey frames that haven't been capped, can I take those out during treatment and put them back in 20 days later to have them capped?
    You could put them back on 3-4 days.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

You can treat any broodless colony without any problems provided it is not a package or freshly hived swarm, in those cases it is better until the queen is laying and some larvae have emerged.
    Does the same hold true with a requeened hive?

If the Queen is still caged I would remove her and treat then after 10 minutes replace her, if she is already out of the cage and been accepted I do not see a problem as she should have started laying and I am sure the bees would not abscond as they have been settled in their home and I think unlikely to leave for a little disruption lasting about 5 minutes.

Can the cap come off the device and spray someone in the face?

I am asking because I wear glasses, but wonder if I need to add extra eye safety equipment.

I noticed the cap came off, but it just sort of popped up and fumes came out - no molten liquid that could make me blind.

Thanks.

It is important that you push a phillips screwdriver into the hole and make sure that the hole is clear of any propolis. If you push the outlet against something solid you can also block the outlet, however unless you have jammed the silicone cap down onto the rim of the bowl the system cannot build up enough pressure to spray molten OA around. So you can get a little vapor pop out and generally you can push it back on and unless you have badly shut off the outlet it will still work OK.

Just wanted to add a testimonial to this thread:

Takes me about 30 - 45 seconds per hive.

No evidence of bee mortality.

Worked as advertised.

It is important that you push a phillips screwdriver into the hole and make sure that the hole is clear of any propolis.
    I use a cordless drill with a 1/4" bit to remove the propolis. Fast and easy and it does need to be done. Some of the holes were half closed up.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I have a couple of large hives (one in 4 mediums and one in 5), can I treat from the middle of the stack or should I break it up into two parts and treat the upper half and lower half separately to get better coverage within the hive?

I have not treated anything more than 4 mediums and have found that treating from above the brood boxes has given me good coverage, however if you are worried about vapor coverage in 5 mediums you could treat from 2 places as you will probably do some good without any harm to your colonies. You could give them 2 grams high and 2 grams low without any problems.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast