Johno's Easy Vap - Vaporizer - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

I just got my Easy Vap today and am excited to use it tomorrow! Like everyone else is saying it seems very well made and I got it fast! Only took 3 days to get, I ordered it on Tuesday and got it on Friday! I plugged it in for just a few seconds and the temperature started to climb right away.
    Thanks John for a great product at an awesome price!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Johno's Easy Vap - Vaporizer

Easy vap has been working consistently.

What is the recommendation on a fall treatment? Is it the same 5X 5 days apart?

I am busy with my fall treatments at the moment which are as you have said 5 x 5 and then the broodless treatment in late November and I do another in December. Thats it until my honey comes off in mid June next year.

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    I am busy with my fall treatments at the moment which are as you have said 5 x 5 and then the broodless treatment in late November and I do another in December. Thats it until my honey comes off in mid June next year.
    I'm new to this type of treatment, and I'm wondering if the what's behind the 5 x 5 protocol? Is that what beekeepers have found gives the best mite control, as opposed to treating e.g., once a week? The added frequency makes sense, I suppose, and the 25 days should cover an entire brood cycle, including drones. One of my mentors treats weekly, but I think he does it throughout the entire summer and fall season. A few years back he was doing it less frequently, and his losses were higher. After he switched to treating once a week, his hives are much healthier and others in our area are now taking his lead. I'd like to share the 5 x 5 protocol with him, but I know he's going to ask me why it's better. Is treating more often, but over a shorter period of time better than treating slightly more often, but over a longer period of time? Maybe this has to do with preventing the mites from developing resistance. I think I might just have answered my own question.

The 5x5 treatment allows the least number of mites to reenter the cells to continue the cycle. Once per week is effective at control, but not eradication. I use the weekly program due to work and have managed to stay on top of the mites for the hives remain healthy. During fall foraging, more mites are coming into the hives, so treatment is never a one and done affair. The late Nov and Dec treatments drops the mite levels to zero for the spring buildup.
    There is no evidence yet to suggest mites are able to develop resistance to OA. But to be safe, it is recommended that various treatments be used periodically.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    The 5x5 treatment allows the least number of mites to reenter the cells to continue the cycle. Once per week is effective at control, but not eradication. I use the weekly program due to work and have managed to stay on top of the mites for the hives remain healthy. During fall foraging, more mites are coming into the hives, so treatment is never a one and done affair. The late Nov and Dec treatments drops the mite levels to zero for the spring buildup.
    There is no evidence yet to suggest mites are able to develop resistance to OA. But to be safe, it is recommended that various treatments be used periodically.
    JWPalmer, thank you for your thoughtful response. This was exactly the kind of explanation I was hoping for. I will go for the 5 x 5 treatment, as would love to eradicate the mites, and currently I have the time. Once I've get to the point where mite levels are zero or at least very low, I will rotate with Apivar or a Thymol based treatment. Maybe even Formic Pro when temperatures allow for it. However, I love the idea of being able to zap all mites during a 25 day window, without having to worry about safety issues with honey supers.

I would like to thank the members of Beesource for the support that I have received over the past year on orders for the Easy Vap and Easy Vap Pro. Unfortunately at this stage I have to ask my fellow beekeepers to not place any further orders until I have cleared up the backlog of orders that I have at present. I hope to have done so by mid November but as I will be visiting my family in Australia and New Zealand from mid November until mid December I will probably only start taking orders again from January 2020 (if the Lord is willing and the creek dont rise). I would like to thank you all for your patience and understanding.
    Johno

I for one want to thank you for being very accommodating to my needs after I set one of my hives on fire last week. I was using one of the wands and sure enough, there was an unusual amount of vapor/smoke coming from the hive. Only lost a couple frames of honey and brood. Anyways, I got mine in the mail today and was able to treat my hives without any issues. I absolutely love using the easy vap and definitely safer that the wands.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would like to thank the members of Beesource for the support that I have received over the past year on orders for the Easy Vap and Easy Vap Pro. Unfortunately at this stage I have to ask my fellow beekeepers to not place any further orders until I have cleared up the backlog of orders that I have at present. I hope to have done so by mid November but as I will be visiting my family in Australia and New Zealand from mid November until mid December I will probably only start taking orders again from January 2020 (if the Lord is willing and the creek dont rise). I would like to thank you all for your patience and understanding.
    Johno
    What is the difference between the two? I have the non-Pro version. I melted my cord coming out of the handle so I need to open it to replace it.

To those reading this, be careful how where the cord is before you sit down your Vao. Don't do what I did an melt the cord. Thankfully I have another month to fix it.

The Easy vap has its outlet coming out about a 1/2" below the top of the bowl while the Easy Vap Pro has its outlet about 3/4" below the bowl so that beekeepers can treat hives on pallets directly through the front entrance. If you have an Easy Vap email me at [email protected] and I will send you a replacement cord.

Hey Johno, just checking to see if you've gotten caught up yet? Still needing to get an easy vap.

Still have quite a waiting list at this moment, I will let you know as soon as I see my way clear to help you.

I became interested in OAV treatment for honeybees when reading about a beek's experience losing his hives 2 years in a row following the standard mite treatments outlined by his bee school. I could relate. After that he did a lot research, reading, attended meetings, conferences, talks, to understand what it takes to successfully overwinter his bees.

He adopted a "knockdown" approach to treating his bees with OAV. He would treat once a month from May through August. At the end of August he removed his honey supers and did a "strip" treatment (Apiguard, MAQS, etc.) in the Fall. After following this approach, he was able to overwinter his bees successfully.

He estimates that this “knockdown” eliminates between 30% - 35% of mites in the colony. This assumes between 35% - 50% of mites are phoretic and the single OAV kills between 85% - 95% of the phoretic mites.

So if you have 100 phoretic mites in your hive, OAV will knock down 85% – 95% of those mites. Also, those 100 phoretic mites in the hive represents 30% to 35% of total mites in the colony, which translates to approximately 50 - 200 +/- more mites under cappings or on foraging bees that the OAV application couldn’t reach at the time of treatment.

I just acquired a vaporizer and have been doing recommended weekly treatments over the last 3 weeks (3x 7). Given the high mite count I'm getting, it may be too little too late. If those above-mentioned statistics are anywhere near accurate, the 3 treatments I've done should knock the mites back if each one represents 30% of total. Will do a 4th treatment (4x 7) to see what kind of count I get after that.

Quote Originally Posted by tenleez View Post
    I became interested in OAV treatment for honeybees when reading about a beek's experience losing his hives 2 years in a row following the standard mite treatments outlined by his bee school. I could relate. After that he did a lot research, reading, attended meetings, conferences, talks, to understand what it takes to successfully overwinter his bees.

He adopted a "knockdown" approach to treating his bees with OAV. He would treat once a month from May through August. At the end of August he removed his honey supers and did a "strip" treatment (Apiguard, MAQS, etc.) in the Fall. After following this approach, he was able to overwinter his bees successfully.

He estimates that this “knockdown” eliminates between 30% - 35% of mites in the colony. This assumes between 35% - 50% of mites are phoretic and the single OAV kills between 85% - 95% of the phoretic mites.

So if you have 100 phoretic mites in your hive, OAV will knock down 85% – 95% of those mites. Also, those 100 phoretic mites in the hive represents 30% to 35% of total mites in the colony, which translates to approximately 50 - 200 +/- more mites under cappings or on foraging bees that the OAV application couldn’t reach at the time of treatment.

I just acquired a vaporizer and have been doing recommended weekly treatments over the last 3 weeks (3x 7). Given the high mite count I'm getting, it may be too little too late. If those above-mentioned statistics are anywhere near accurate, the 3 treatments I've done should knock the mites back if each one represents 30% of total. Will do a 4th treatment (4x 7) to see what kind of count I get after that.
    I think it is 20% and 80% under the cappings, and OAV should not be used with honey supers.
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardBeesNC

Without going into everything else you mentioned that was improper, during the first several OAV treatments, your knockdown will be about 20-25% of the ORIGINAL total mite load. Week 4 is when you should expect to see a significant reduction in the mite drop.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Tenleez I would continue with the OAV treatments until you no longer see a significant drop of mites then if you can wait about 10 days and do a mite wash on a half cup of bees from open brood.

Well if the knockdown treatments are only 20% - 25%, that means I would need to do 4 or 5 treatments every 7 days before I see a drop in the mite count. I'll keep treating until the numbers are down. As for pulling honey supers, I've got a Lang, a double-deep hive, a horizontal hive and a nuc box. Three of the hives should have enough stores to get them through the winter, it's the nuc that's light on stores and I'm trying to help it build up enough to get it through the winter. Bottom line: there were no supers (etc.) for me to pull this year as I was doing the OAV treatments. Last year we had the warmest winter on record and some beeks are recommending we leave 100 #'s of honey for the bees (just in case).

Thanks Johno, I'll continue OAV treatments until I see the counts drop significantly.

If you are treating a week apart and see continued mite drop the mites may be multiplying nearly as fast as you are killing them! If there is heavy indrift from surrounding infested bees the problem is compounded.

I have seen a couple of very experienced and observant beekeepers who claim to have needed to treat every three days throughout 3 week period.

I see very, very, few observations of any mortality from closely spaced, high reps OAV but quite a few where the numbers were not dropping or very slowly. In the fall it is easy to run out of time. In the spring, with normal low mite counts you may only have to do enough to maintain so may not have to be as aggressive.

I have little inclination to be gentlemanly towards the mites; kick em while they are down!
    Frank

For those of you who have been unable to build your own band heater vaporizer I can offer the Easy Vap, which comes with operating instructions and 3 Mocap caps. Price $150 plus $15 shipping priority mail - USA. As I am able to build +- 10 units per week the vaporizers will be sold on a first come first serve basis.
    John Olivier, Lottsburg, VA 22511. Email [email protected]. Attachment 43593
    For those of you who are not familiar with Johno's Easy Vap click on this link
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ets5...ature=youtu.be

I would like to purchase a Johno's Easy Vap . What time frame for me to receive and how to facilitate purchase. My email is [email protected], my name is Perry Mace and located in United States.

Quote Originally Posted by perrymace View Post
    I would like to purchase a Johno's Easy Vap . What time frame for me to receive and how to facilitate purchase. My email is [email protected], my name is Perry Mace and located in United States.
    Perry, welcome to Beesource. For an answer to your question, please read post #87 of this thread.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast