Johno's Easy Vap - Vaporizer - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: Johno's Easy Vap - Vaporizer

Hi Guys, I am still working on the backlog of orders that I have on the books and hope to have them all completed soon before leaving on my vacation. There have been a flood of enquiries by email that are still coming in daily and I have been notifying those beekeepers that I am not taking orders until January 2020 so the story below still applies and I hope we can try to catch up when I get back.

I would like to thank the members of Beesource for the support that I have received over the past year on orders for the Easy Vap and Easy Vap Pro. Unfortunately at this stage I have to ask my fellow beekeepers to not place any further orders until I have cleared up the backlog of orders that I have at present. I hope to have done so by mid November but as I will be visiting my family in Australia and New Zealand from mid November until mid December I will probably only start taking orders again from January 2020 (if the Lord is willing and the creek dont rise). I would like to thank you all for your patience and understanding.
    Johno

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Congrats on producing such a popular product Johno!!
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Thanks OT, we will be in Aukland on the 2nd and 3rd of December so I will PM you and get your contact number.

Excellent, will be great to see you again Johno.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Curious as to where people are locating the hole in the back of their hives? Sounds like the top of the bottom deep is the best
    place, but interested to hear what people have done? Thanks!

Jared

Quote Originally Posted by j2t View Post
    Curious as to where people are locating the hole in the back of their hives? Sounds like the top of the bottom deep is the best
    place, but interested to hear what people have done? Thanks!

Jared
    I drilled mine in the filler board of the bottom board opposite the entrance reducer. I don't think it matters though, because as with a pan type device as soon as the oav begins rising the bees start vigorously fanning.
    The top of the bottom brood box would probably be more convenient for the beekeeper. The location would need to be precise.

Alex
    Last edited by AHudd; 10-29-2019 at 05:17 PM. Reason: The location would need to be precise.
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Should you drill your hole in the brood box, you'll probably end up shooting the OA directly into a sidebar, not what you want to do. Either drill the hole in the bottom board or in a shim/rim set above.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

I do like Alex and have my hole in the bottom board filler strip. My hives are 18" off the ground so that position is not hard for me to work with. If your hives are on pallets, I would go through a top shim. The band heater style vaporizer does an excellent job of dispersing the OA crystals throughout the hive so location, high or low, isn't a big factor.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I have slatted racks under my hive bodies and drilled my holes under the slats. My holes are just big enough for the tube, smaller than 1/4" and plug with a golf tee. Have 2 of the EasyVaps and well pleased with the ease of vaporizing my hives.

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Should you drill your hole in the brood box, you'll probably end up shooting the OA directly into a sidebar, not what you want to do. Either drill the hole in the bottom board or in a shim/rim set above.
    if you drill your hole in the crack between two brood boxes, you go above the bottom frames and below the top frames, and especially in cold weather the vapor comes out the entrance and out the top, only ever had a problem once where the bees had put a barrier of propolis at that exact spot, not sure why they did it.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

If you guys look at the video on the first post you will see that I have made the 1/4" hole in the top brood box in the center of the frame rest as close to the top edge as I can get with the hole sloping upwards at about 30 degrees. The vaporizer outlet comes into the hive between the two center frame top bars and the vapor goes in above the edges of the center side bars as they are set back from the edge. I also keep a short phillips screwdriver with my OAV kit and make sure that I clear the holes of propolis before treating. I have also found that by using a small brush that I purchased from Ace hardware to wipe the inside of the bowl after each treatment as I move from the treated hive to the next in line keeps my sublimation time to a minimum as just the slightest layer of oxidization on the bottom of the bowl makes a difference20191028_192114.jpg

What's the general opinion here on very late, Winter - extremely cold weather OAV treatment?

In my area, temps will not be above 43F, and will be below freezing at night.

I've seen others recommend December treatments, but is there any assurance that such a late winter treatment won't kill the bees?
    Last edited by username00101; 11-18-2019 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    What's the general opinion here on very late, Winter - extremely cold weather OAV treatment?

In my area, temps will not be above 43F, and will be below freezing at night.

I've seen others recommend December treatments, but is there any assurance that such a late winter treatment won't kill the bees?
    It is unlikely to harm the bees. It should not, but then again putting a heated wand in the Hive full of acid always carries at least some risk.

That said, sometime mid December, I will be treating mine. It has worked well so far for me.
    So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

I believe the general consensus on OAV is to not apply it below 40F as the bees will be too tightly clustered. At worst it will simply be ineffective. On a sunny day with temps at 40 or above, I would go ahead. In fact, I think I will. My Nov. treatment is due first nice weekend day we get.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456