Johno's Easy Vap - Vaporizer - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

I just got my Easy Vap today and am excited to use it tomorrow! Like everyone else is saying it seems very well made and I got it fast! Only took 3 days to get, I ordered it on Tuesday and got it on Friday! I plugged it in for just a few seconds and the temperature started to climb right away.
    Thanks John for a great product at an awesome price!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Johno's Easy Vap - Vaporizer

Easy vap has been working consistently.

What is the recommendation on a fall treatment? Is it the same 5X 5 days apart?

I am busy with my fall treatments at the moment which are as you have said 5 x 5 and then the broodless treatment in late November and I do another in December. Thats it until my honey comes off in mid June next year.

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    I am busy with my fall treatments at the moment which are as you have said 5 x 5 and then the broodless treatment in late November and I do another in December. Thats it until my honey comes off in mid June next year.
    I'm new to this type of treatment, and I'm wondering if the what's behind the 5 x 5 protocol? Is that what beekeepers have found gives the best mite control, as opposed to treating e.g., once a week? The added frequency makes sense, I suppose, and the 25 days should cover an entire brood cycle, including drones. One of my mentors treats weekly, but I think he does it throughout the entire summer and fall season. A few years back he was doing it less frequently, and his losses were higher. After he switched to treating once a week, his hives are much healthier and others in our area are now taking his lead. I'd like to share the 5 x 5 protocol with him, but I know he's going to ask me why it's better. Is treating more often, but over a shorter period of time better than treating slightly more often, but over a longer period of time? Maybe this has to do with preventing the mites from developing resistance. I think I might just have answered my own question.

The 5x5 treatment allows the least number of mites to reenter the cells to continue the cycle. Once per week is effective at control, but not eradication. I use the weekly program due to work and have managed to stay on top of the mites for the hives remain healthy. During fall foraging, more mites are coming into the hives, so treatment is never a one and done affair. The late Nov and Dec treatments drops the mite levels to zero for the spring buildup.
    There is no evidence yet to suggest mites are able to develop resistance to OA. But to be safe, it is recommended that various treatments be used periodically.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    The 5x5 treatment allows the least number of mites to reenter the cells to continue the cycle. Once per week is effective at control, but not eradication. I use the weekly program due to work and have managed to stay on top of the mites for the hives remain healthy. During fall foraging, more mites are coming into the hives, so treatment is never a one and done affair. The late Nov and Dec treatments drops the mite levels to zero for the spring buildup.
    There is no evidence yet to suggest mites are able to develop resistance to OA. But to be safe, it is recommended that various treatments be used periodically.
    JWPalmer, thank you for your thoughtful response. This was exactly the kind of explanation I was hoping for. I will go for the 5 x 5 treatment, as would love to eradicate the mites, and currently I have the time. Once I've get to the point where mite levels are zero or at least very low, I will rotate with Apivar or a Thymol based treatment. Maybe even Formic Pro when temperatures allow for it. However, I love the idea of being able to zap all mites during a 25 day window, without having to worry about safety issues with honey supers.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345