Johno's Easy Vap - Vaporizer - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Johno's Easy Vap - Vaporizer

Quote Originally Posted by sc-bee View Post
    I also ordered and I agree:
    -Appears to be a good/ sturdy build
    -Fast shipping
    -Johno answered any questions courteously and promptly

It was a no brainier for me. I had priced the parts and I am not a DIY er. I am sure anything I tried to piece together would have been a disaster. The cost is the same as one Varrox wand. I added a 400 watt inverter, for around $33, from Lowes. My only question is should I order another one while they are available? I have not fired it up yet but will soon...

Thanks Johno

Steve
    I think you may need a little more power that the 400watt inverter.

I got one from Harbor Freight for like 40bucks and used a 20% coupon. Tax and all was around $32 bucks total.

Its continuous 750/1500 watt peek.1543130110-1543129808532.jpg1543130110-1543129867162.jpg

This thing works like a charm even with a 50ft extension cord and heats up fast 1543130110-1543129892086.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bigsid View Post
    I think you may need a little more power that the 400watt inverter.
    I just received my vaporizer from Johno last week. This vaporizer may well be the best money I've spent on my beekeeping hobby so far.

I have 14 hives in 4 different yards. I have a 400 watt inverter, which I connected to a tractor starting battery in my garage in order to test that the unit heats properly. The inverter was screaming at me the whole time, because the battery voltage was dropping down near 12 volts.

I treated the first two hives on 120v grid power with an extension cord. Worked great.

I treated the next 7 using the 400 watt inverter connected to my pickup battery with the engine idling. Worked great. No screaming. Did 7 hives, including drilling holes for the nozzle, cleaning off the SBB inserts so I can monitor mite drop, and wrapping two of the hives with prepared insulation wraps in under 30 minutes.

I put the tractor battery on the charger for about an hour and then took it to my other two out yards. At the first yard, I treated two hives using the battery/inverter combination. No inverter screaming. Worked great.

I then took the battery to the last yard, where I have 3 hives. Initially, I was going to lay out 200' of extension cord to a grid power outlet, but I decided to try the battery, instead. I treated the last 3 hives using the battery/inverter combination. No inverter screaming. Worked great. I did not monitor the voltage on the battery. I brought the battery home and put it back on the charger to top it up.

I've found two potential issues with my particular usage. One, the tube nozzle is bending upwards as I use it. More of an arc than a bend. Trying to decide if this actually works better for me, or is a potential problem. The benefit is it will be pointed towards the center of the hive, rather than straight in. This arc/bend may be related to the fact that my hives are on 4 or 6 inch stands, and are very low to the ground, and getting the vaporizer to fit in a hole drilled in the SBB is a very tight clearance. The handle and cord brush right against the ground and vegetation when I turn it over. I may need to modify the handle attachment so it comes straight out the back of the electrical box, rather than the bottom. Not a big deal. I may also just drill my treatment holes in the bottom of the second deep, below the frames. That may actually be a better location for the vapor application, anyway.

After one round of treatments, though, I'm very pleased with the unit, so far.

Thanks for the feed back Gumpy, if you really need the vaporizer to work down low I would not fiddle with the handle. What you could possibly do is remove the aluminum strip and put maybe a 30 degree bend in it close to the oak block which would angle the combustion part upwards and thus allow you to put that side down and the handle will be higher up. However I still think the higher up you treat the better.
    Johno

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Thanks for the feed back Gumpy, if you really need the vaporizer to work down low I would not fiddle with the handle. What you could possibly do is remove the aluminum strip and put maybe a 30 degree bend in it close to the oak block which would angle the combustion part upwards and thus allow you to put that side down and the handle will be higher up. However I still think the higher up you treat the better.
    Johno
    Thanks, John,

I'll keep that in mind. I'm not going to do anything with it till I have more experience using it. I suspect the slight upward bend in the tube and treating between the boxes will provide the best options.

I have had some beekeepers ask why the Easy Vap was faster than the Other Vap, was it because the Easy Vap was set at 450 degrees and the Other Vap at 230 degrees. The correct answer is no as the 230 degrees is in C whereas the 450 was in F. As America uses Fahrenheit for temperature measurement the Easy Vap has been set to read in Fahrenheit and 450F is pretty close to 230C.
    Johno

Grump I treated 22 hives this past weekend and as you said "the tube nozzle is bending upwards as I use it. More of an arc than a bend." I also noticed that. Your right one thing that would make it better if it did have an arch Like the ProVap110, so you could just go in front where i have reducers.

I just drilled 1/4 holes in my bottom boards and use Golf Tees to plug them 1543543057-1543542751248.jpg1543543057-1543542768545.jpg1543543057-1543542797230.jpg1543543057-1543542816097.jpg

Over all Johno has done an excellent job. I was able to Vaporizer 22 hives in around 45mins using just 3 caps.1543543057-1543542835608.jpg

Also you folks are more than welcome to come chat about Beekeeping https://www.rumbletalk.com/client/[email protected]_hmJ "Normal people around 9pm Central time everyday"

Norm

Very nice job, enjoyed watching the video. Really fast work. Does this work off of 110v, or 12v ? Looked like 110v in video... Thanks, Richard

Richard I use a 100 ft extension cord in my home yard and I can get 120 Volts to all my hives, when I work my outhives I use a $40 inverter clipped onto my trucks battery and then a 50 ft extension cord. So yes the vaporizer is 110-120 volts but works off a 12 volt battery through an inverter.. I must say I fumbled around making that video that I must have taken 2 to 3 minutes longer than I should have.
    Johno

I wish I had come across this before I bought the provap.

Hi! I was just looking for the similar item. would you be so kind to e-mail me the details please [email protected]

I am still making and selling Easy Vaps, I make up 12 at a time and when my stock gets to 6 I make up another 12.
    Johno

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    I am still making and selling Easy Vaps, I make up 12 at a time and when my stock gets to 6 I make up another 12.
    Johno
    im in tell me how to order

Jonboat1, email me at [email protected] and I will give you all the details
    Johno

Great results from the Easy Vap unit I just bought 2 weeks ago. I used my extension cord for the hives in my backyard and picked up a 400 watt inverter from Walmart that worked great in an out yard. Way faster than using my old wand vaporizer. I highly recommend this product to anyone who uses oxalic acid for mites. Thanks again John!

Victor

John,
    Nice product. I ordered on Christmas and had it three days later. Used it yesterday for the first time. Worked well. A little different configuration would work better for my set ups but had no problems or issues. A really fast recovery time between shots. Hard to beat for the money.
    Thanks,
    Scott

Barhopper, what kind of configuration are you thinking about. I am quite willing to look at means of improving the system.
    Johno

Bought one than friend wanted one ,great thanks again.Will be back for another for back up.

I have built a modified Easy Vap that would suit beekeepers who would treat from the hive entrance and would also help with hives close to the ground, however there is more labor and it is a little more complicated so I would guess drive the cost up to around $170 per unit. Is this any better than the old and simple design and will it justify the increase in cost, so let me hear your views.IMG_1445.jpgIMG_1447.jpg
    Johno

could the handle come out the side or rear instead of the bottom ,that would gain a large amount of ground clearance

Johnny2 I can not see an easy way to attach a handle to the sides or rear as the attachment screws would be difficult to get to, besides how low do you have to go.
    Johno

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast